PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle test changes

Jack
22-07-08, 08:54 AM
Sewious qwestion, I've only put this in muppet as technically its not a "car" thread lol

Whats the crack with the motorbike test changing in October? I've had a look round and can't quite figure out whats different, although it appears that you do the on-road test at a test centre... I'm probably wrong there though.

At the moment, if I wanted to get a bike license, I'd do the CBT then Direct Access, yes? What will be different after October?

Steve
22-07-08, 09:52 AM
Not sure tbh, all I heard is that they're trying to make it harder for people to pass. I'm considering doing direct access as well, but you wil have to do your cbt and theory first. All in all you're looking at somewhere between £500-£700 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jack
22-07-08, 11:42 AM
I know its expensive; one of the few places I found that actually listed prices said it was something like £750 but that included bike, leathers and helmet hire, CBT, DAC, tests etc and was over 5 days (which seems a bit long, but its aimed at complete noobs). Still, it would work out cheaper than a car in the long run though, mpg on a bike is far better than a car and the insurance/tax is less than half the price.

The reason I'm thinking about it is I need to move house soon, which will mean more than likely having to ditch a car (for "a car", read "nova", as I'm not selling the Celica). Having a bike would still give me an economical shuttle but not need a place that has room for two cars.

Lee
22-07-08, 12:32 PM
First dibs on the Saloon of Death Mr D :)

General Lee
22-07-08, 12:37 PM
I've got an sv650s. I ride my bike everyday to work, cost me £17 to fill her up and she does 160 miles to the tank, lasts me all week. Tis definately a cheaper option to a car, thats the reason i switched. As for bike lessons and test £750 is a bit dear, shop around a bit , i done my lessons and test for 350, i allready done my cbt and theory (cbt £90, theory was £37) and i only needed 2 days lessons the third day was the test. But all i think they are changing is locations from where you start the test from atm. IMHO do your cbt and theory before you go to do your lessons because they will think you are more of an experienced rider and repect you more.

Here my bike just to spur you on.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/nathnova/DSC00072.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/nathnova/DSC00071.jpg

ck
22-07-08, 02:01 PM
jack, my mate has just booked his test after passin his theory. worked out something along the lines of £400ish for 3 days, including bike ect. thats in plymouth.

Jack
22-07-08, 02:22 PM
Hmm, I struggle to drive round most of plymouth, if I had to ride a bike round there as a learner I think I'd die lol

stevenf
22-07-08, 03:07 PM
form what ive heard they are trying to "ditch" the direct access. they are trying to split it into two tests. first one is you do it so as you can only ride up to a 600cc i think then you will have to sit another test to ride anything bigger. thats what i have heard anyway lol the best way to find out would probs be to phone the bike test place and ask them what the changes are that are being brought in :D

NovaLad
22-07-08, 03:22 PM
I'm prob wrong but i heard something about the changes in october mean you can only ride up to a 50cc or 125 till your 21.

draper
22-07-08, 03:54 PM
^^ thats ok with RJ being the forum grandad

and bugger, lee beat me to 1st dibs on the passion wagon

Jack
22-07-08, 04:20 PM
Yep, I'm old so don't care about what the young 'uns have to put up with, I just want to be able to ride a decent-ish bike without looking like a gorilla on a tin of angry bees lol

Alex.
22-07-08, 05:00 PM
and bugger, lee beat me to 1st dibs on the passion wagon

You're joking right? Passion wagon? I won't get in it let alone sh*g in it! lol

1.6 8v turbo nova
22-07-08, 07:21 PM
they do 2 tests, direct access and restricted access test.

direct access: 21+ must pass on a 500cc.
restricted access: 17+ must pass on a 125cc, and then restricted to less than 33bhp for 3 years.

hope this helps :) and the changes are to have it so you ride at night in bad weather conditions etc.

Andy
22-07-08, 09:42 PM
I've got an sv650s. I ride my bike everyday to work, cost me £17 to fill her up and she does 160 miles to the tank, lasts me all week. Tis definately a cheaper option to a car, thats the reason i switched. As for bike lessons and test £750 is a bit dear, shop around a bit , i done my lessons and test for 350, i allready done my cbt and theory (cbt £90, theory was £37) and i only needed 2 days lessons the third day was the test. But all i think they are changing is locations from where you start the test from atm. IMHO do your cbt and theory before you go to do your lessons because they will think you are more of an experienced rider and repect you more.

Here my bike just to spur you on.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/nathnova/DSC00072.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/nathnova/DSC00071.jpg
Nice, i like bikes like that even more when they are de-fairing'd streetfighter style,like a bandit etc

turbojolt
22-07-08, 09:53 PM
they do 2 tests, direct access and restricted access test.

direct access: 21+ must pass on a 500cc.
restricted access: 17+ must pass on a 125cc, and then restricted to less than 33bhp for 3 years.

hope this helps :) and the changes are to have it so you ride at night in bad weather conditions etc.

i think its only 2 years mate