PDA

View Full Version : help me!

TUBZGSXR
02-10-02, 05:45 PM
ok, my car (De-cat SRI) is not gona be on the road for a while, like months! engines only got 50 ,000 miles, but i dont want it to get shit cause its just sitting around, and also the battery is flat so i need to charge that ...yawn.. But anyways i need to know wot i need to be doin to keep it alive, cause ive heard the brakes /engine can seize up if its left for to long, do i need to:
start it and move it backwards and fowards every day (for brakes, and engien)
and if so , how long should i leave it running for everyday, and wot else do i neeed to be doin , all info will be helpful, cause i REALY dont want it to die,
thanx guys,
tubs ;)

Manta Mad
04-10-02, 12:57 PM
I store my Manta during the winter and usually every 1-2 weeks I start it, let it get up to temperature and drive it to the end of the road and back, just to keep the brakes and clutch from seizing. If you can its best leaving it with the handbrake off and the wheels chocked, especially if your Nova is like mine and the brakes seize on if it not used for a copule of days.

I think if you intend to store an engine for a while without using its best to take out the spark plugs and put some oil into the bores.

With the battery you can get a sort of trickle charger that is left plugged in an stops the battery going flat.

ade
04-10-02, 01:04 PM
if storing use chocks as above rather than apply handbrake - If you wanna go all out remove pads from front too.

Mine was off the road for 5 weeks - never turned it once I dod however roll it back and forward each week - mainly because I was rebuuilding it and needed to get it out of the garage to do other work/spray etc...

If the engine is well maintained you should be ok for at least a month before turning it over - in the winter maybe do it every couple of weeks - let it get up to temp then turn off.

Ade
:wink:

Dicko
05-10-02, 12:20 PM
just get it upto temperature every few weeks. you can get condensation in the engine after a bit. by heating it up it stops this, also circulates oil.

move it a little and test brakes with engine running to stop the brakes seizing, but they shouldnt be much of a problem becuz they have ATE callipers which dont usually seize too easily.

might be worth you investing in a car cover from Argos, orto use a big sheet of tarpaulin to keep the wet out!

Anonymous
09-10-02, 11:02 AM
Start in once a month and just roll it back and forwards a foot or two to turn the disks.

Over inflate the tyres as well to stop them deforming, pump them up to 50% higher than normal pressure.

Chip