PDA

View Full Version : Nova towing??

Nobby
20-07-08, 11:18 PM
ive been buying a few cars lately and am sick of paying people to fetch them for me, so ive decided to buy a towbar for my nova! its an xe so should have some power to pull it but not a lot of weight? even if i load it up before i got to pick up a car. Has anyone ever towed in a nova before? im only hoping to be collecting small ish cars maybe a few larger 1s cavaliers etc? i once pulled my mates 2.0 5door astra in a 1.2 with no problems lol. cheers:thumb:

novacabrio
20-07-08, 11:21 PM
It would be illegal to pull a Nova on a trailor with a Nova. the braking weight will be to much.

Also need to check your licence, how odl are you? people who passed their test after jan 98 or something arent legaly able to tow a large trailor over a certain weight

Nobby
20-07-08, 11:26 PM
It would be illegal to pull a Nova on a trailor with a Nova. the braking weight will be to much.

Also need to check your licence, how odl are you? people who passed their test after jan 98 or something arent legaly able to tow a large trailor over a certain weight

ooo i didnt know this, it would only be localish collections and i would be using a bar with some one in the towed car?

stevenf
20-07-08, 11:34 PM
have a read through this page and it will let you know about the towing laws and regulations
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022564
this link is for towing a trailer

brainsnova
20-07-08, 11:40 PM
i got my mate to tow my calibra with a 1.2 nova it was toiling on the hills

burgo
21-07-08, 01:45 AM
i didnt know i wasnt "allowed" to tow a trailor with a car until after i had done an 800 mile round trip lol

mowgli
21-07-08, 08:28 AM
the rule is no more than 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle..
why do you think caravanners always have big cars?

Dod
21-07-08, 09:34 AM
Try stopping fast and see what happens.

Ernie
21-07-08, 09:40 AM
Thats why i tow with my vectra gsi estate.It tows lovely and thats with a four wheeled braked trailer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/vectra/140620081049.jpg

matthew172
21-07-08, 09:44 AM
if all 4 wheels of the towed car are still on the ground then you can be dun if it doesnt have insurance, tax etc

mowgli
21-07-08, 09:45 AM
Also, never involve your missus in towing on a rope. mine rear ended the tow vehicle once, so the next time I let her drive the tow vehicle.........
all was going well until we got to a roundabout & she 'went for the gap'. so there I am in the middle of a 3 lane roundabout in a morris minor pickup & 2ft of frayed rope...... I was about to ring the 24hr solicitor when she came back round the roundabout & had the nerve to accuse me of stamping on the brakes.....Anyone who has ever driven a morris anything knows they didn't have much brakes........

matthew172
21-07-08, 09:48 AM
^^^ fpmsl!

Ernie
21-07-08, 09:48 AM
Ive had the same thing happen but with a fixed bar on the back of my civic.
We were scrapping a friends nova so giving it it's last trip on tow when the front of the nova fell off in the middle of the road.
We endded up tieing the fixed bar to the arb and got it to the breakers in the end.

Dod
21-07-08, 09:49 AM
LOL, I just remembered my old Corsa XE. It ripped the towing eye off along with the Bumper (fibreglass) that wound up in 3 pieces!!

Welsh Dan
21-07-08, 01:10 PM
The problem with a nova for towing is that its got very little weight in the rear. I towed my dad in my mums corsa with my nova as the tow car the other day, using a towpole. Dad decided it would be a good idea to follow my pronounced lines rather than to aim for the back of my car, so on the sharp junctions the back of my car was skipping about lol.

I suppose the moral of my story would be to load the back of the nova with ballast, and have a good towed-driver. lol

Dod
21-07-08, 01:45 PM
The problem with a nova for towing is that its got very little weight in the rear. I towed my dad in my mums corsa with my nova as the tow car the other day, using a towpole. Dad decided it would be a good idea to follow my pronounced lines rather than to aim for the back of my car, so on the sharp junctions the back of my car was skipping about lol.

Worsened by the fact that if the towing eyes done line up, under breaking you can close the cars like sissors.

This is a product of poor towing>>>>

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Dods1/Pic414.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Dods1/Pic415.jpg

Towing a car at speed, braking suddenly, the towed car hits the Cavalier which in turn hits another oncoming car. No one hurt but 3 cars written off.

Nobby
21-07-08, 08:45 PM
^^^ think thats just put me off lol just wounderd what it would be like but i think im gona take a hint this time :D

General Baxter
21-07-08, 08:49 PM
nobby, if you can get a trailer i can tow it for you for some diesel money :)

iv towed 16.8tons, would that be enough lol

alltho i am looking for a car trailer ;) png recovery/transport anyone ? lol

Nobby
21-07-08, 10:09 PM
nobby, if you can get a trailer i can tow it for you for some diesel money :)

iv towed 16.8tons, would that be enough lol

alltho i am looking for a car trailer ;) png recovery/transport anyone ? lol

cheers matey ill keep that option open ;) pmsl turbosport have a recovery bloke:thumb:

blindside-retro
21-07-08, 10:28 PM
ah memories, reminds me of the time we towed a nova from north london back to n.ireland using a towing bar, a 404 home trip!lol