PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass and Resin

ade
02-10-02, 03:58 PM
Ok guys,

Getting the project modding bug BIG TIME at the moment and I'm on the hunt for some fibreglass/resin.

I'm looking for a pretty large quantity - enough to make a set of custom original bumpers and skirts.

Does anyone know where I can source a quantity of resin and a BIG sheet of fibreglass - I've tried yellow pages and internet - no joy.

I was thinking a boat building yard or yahtting club or their suppliers?

Please dont suggest Halfords - I'm after a gallon of the stuff at least!

Any numbers/internet addressed mucho appreciated...

Ade

locky
02-10-02, 04:52 PM
I went to a auto paint shop 4 mine, 18 quid for fiberglass matting, resin, and activator! lots of it 2, easily meake a bumper and other bits n bobs!
Btw, wot surface would i use to make the bits n bobs????? im gona make some custom bits
Cheers

Ben (lurk75)
02-10-02, 04:55 PM
best bet is go to a aftermarket panel place that sell clone parts etc
we got a place in bristol called panel on, but dont think they will deliver to glasgow!

Jim
02-10-02, 07:28 PM
Locky, your best off making the mold out of wood. I've not used fibreglass myself (yet :wink: ) but when I was at uni, we used a type of soft wood which you could carve into for the mold. I foget what the name of the wood was :roll: Try asking at moulding places what they use.

Jim

locky
02-10-02, 10:35 PM
Cheers slim jim, thank u very much, most appreciated!

Matt Finary
02-10-02, 11:12 PM
My bro sell fibreglass kits which I get at cost :D . I have been thinking about making spoiler and rear bumper for the flying machine.

Matt :D

Matt Finary
02-10-02, 11:16 PM
My bro sell fibreglass kits which I get at cost :D . I have been thinking about making spoiler and rear bumper for the flying machine.

Matt :D

ade
03-10-02, 02:40 AM
making a mould is pretty easy depending on the bit yer making.

Like slim says, make basic shape in wood to get dimensions.

I usually then either use clay or plastecine!

Once youve scuplted the shape you want (called a master), u need to make a cast of it. Various ways of doing this - depends on what the shape is.

Most molds are 2 piece - e-g the mould comes in 2 seperate pieces - can be a little fiddley. Bumpers are usually 1 piece as you are really only taking a cast of the outer surface.

To make a cast, place work on a big wooden board and cover your work in clingfilm and lay sausages of clay/plastecine over it, completely sealing it, go around the edge too. U then need to build a breather hole at the highest point on the cast and also at the lowest point - basically a clay funnel shapestuck on like a chimney. Once done smooth the surface of the sausages carefully - you done want any undercuts or negative curvatures. then you need to cover it in plaster - thick and gloopy. this gives the mould rigidity. Alternatively you can make a wooden box and pour the plaster into it - as long as the walls are sturdy and thick. The plaster will take the shape of the sausages and create a gap between the master and the cast. the gap is to be filled with the rubber moulding material.

Once fully bone dry, gently make a line around the plaster and then remove the plaster cast from board and remove the sausages from the master. Leave the master on the board and make sure the line marked does not vanish! This is the line up point to put the cast back over the master. check the master is exactly how you want and then put the cast back over it. Make sure the funnells are clear. Seal the edges with clay.

U are now ready for the rubber. You can use 2 types - silicone rubber (expensive but very robust) or vynamould also called gelflex - which can be gently heated to melt it.

I use gelflex.

Melt (be careful not to burn) and then carefully pour down the highest funnel. Once the bottom funnel bubbles up with the stuff, seal it and then continue pouring till the top funnell is full. Do it gently and slowly to ensure no air is trapped.

Leave to cool fully.

Once cooled, remove seal, lift from board and carefully remove the master. If its a one off u can destroy it. You will be left with an exact copy of the master.

All you have to do now is build up layers of fibreglass on to it to make yer cast!

Easy!

:D