PDA

View Full Version : stupid vauxhall design!!:(

rysmee
20-07-08, 06:23 PM
now i've heard of it before but never had it happen to me before now... just built up my engine with the 308 cam fitted eventually! fired up ok and ran for 20 min above idle to bed the cam in.. then road test time.. ok for a while then starts missfiring..ok.. get it back and remove the cam cover and one of the followers/rocker arms whatever you want to call them has come off and snapped. ahhhhhhh!!! luckily the cam didnt snap but the lash cap was no where to be seen.. and it turns out had ended up in the sump!
Now it doesnt look like there was any piston to valve contact to cause it so why do they do that? is there anything that can be done when i rebuild the engine to try and prevent it happening again?
i've got a week until i go to nurburg and i wanted it running to bed it in this week.. damn engines.. why do we bother.
oh.. anyone got a spare single /set of kent followers they want to sell me
?! dont know how long its gonna take me to get some new ones from kent!

Ash
20-07-08, 10:21 PM
308deg lift!? I hope your running solid lifters.

belly257
20-07-08, 10:24 PM
happened to me on a 1.6 8 valve, u must of bin hammering it to 7ooo rpm

Stuart
21-07-08, 08:13 AM
sounds like a lifter lost interest in coming back from the huge lift and made the follower fall off etc blah blah.

unless of course you are on solids (which I'd expect from a cam like that but it wouldnt surprise me if its hyd lol)

Will F
21-07-08, 08:34 AM
Bet it aint! lol

308 too!!?? feck me thats lairy. Bet the std GM ECU loved it.
lol

peester
21-07-08, 09:47 AM
rysmee did run novatech throttle bodies and prog. ecu - so i dont think its as bad as it sounds..

craig green
21-07-08, 09:50 AM
There are early & late type followers. The design was changed, the newer ones have a smoother underside without a stress raiser cast into them to make them stronger.

I've seen many snapped ones in my time, usually on abused engines. LOL.

rysmee
22-07-08, 07:25 AM
of course im running solid lifters!!.. and i think i found the cause.. one of them was loose. doh! so the only explaination is that it worked its way so loose that it gave too much clearance and then the inevitable happened!
but all is ok.. got a new vauxhall lifter as thats all i could get.. built it up last night. did 250 miles through the night and now i'm of to get it r/roaded /mapped (today was the only day they could do it before sunday)
then bring on the ring.....but i need some sleep before that.

rysmee
22-07-08, 02:52 PM
well just had it rolling roaded and i'v got 130 bhp at the fly / 106 atw.. not too bad i guess.. does that sound good / ok / poor ?
thats at 6300 rpm.. obviously the cam should make peak a bit higher than that but the fueling is dropping off after 6300.. so our assumption is that the injectors are maxed out.

Stuart
22-07-08, 03:00 PM
the ecu should be able to tell you if its running max duty cycle on them...
but odds on it is them that are maxed.

its a 1.6 isnt it?
with a 300deg+ cam and probably rest of engine to suit the TB's etc, I'd want to see atleast 120bhp ATW

rysmee
22-07-08, 03:39 PM
yeah its now a 1650... i was a bit dissapointed. and it actually feels slower than it did before. i dont know if thats because its lost some of its round driveability due to the cam but even up at 6000 rpm it still feels a bit gutless..
however it is 13 bhp up on before i had the cam and bored it out.. with the same r/r.

Will F
23-07-08, 08:53 AM
Whats the full spec?

What injectors are you running?

XE creams would be man enough - I used them on my 160 + 1.6...

rysmee
24-07-08, 10:21 PM
i'm running omex management with some 45 boddies, bored out to 1650, 308 cam,fully lightend & balanced, 4 branch manifold straight through to back box. at the mo still running the standard injectors but obvously they are now no longer man enough.
what spec were you running to get 160 brake then?

Ash
24-07-08, 10:34 PM
Will's was a 16v, I'm assuming yours is an 8v?

Nice spec, but would of thought it would of made more, surely....

Stoo
24-07-08, 10:35 PM
id be expecting closed to 140-150 with that spec!!!

rysmee
24-07-08, 11:05 PM
yeah i just found my old r/r sheet.. it was already at 130 bhp before i bored it and put the cam in so surely somthings not right???
how much extra power do you reckon an extra 50 cc and a much higher lift cam will give ? because at the mo its nothing!
i know i said about the injectors but they were only dropping off at 6300.. so surely it should be making making more power up untill that point?

rysmee
24-07-08, 11:06 PM
yeah sorry 8 v it is.

Adam
25-07-08, 07:11 PM
Have you had it remapped and the cam dialed in on a vernier?

With a cam with that duration no doubt peak power will be very high(7k plus), so i wouldn't be suprised for it to not make the same power it did before below that.
But it will make more peak power.

Get some Cream XE injectors in there, and then get it to the RR place so they can set the fuel pressure and sort the map to get it fueling fine.

krobinson
26-07-08, 08:43 AM
Check out my old Nova's spec, 1.3 SR engine bored to 1400cc with a lairy cam, solids and 40's. - http://www.pngclub.com/forum/viewfeaturecar.php?ref=2395

It made 124bhp and 110lb torque in it's final spec, which would be simaliar to yours (Kent ast 17 cam is around 305 deg)

Keith

rysmee
01-08-08, 06:43 PM
well.. just thought i'd let everyone know that i actually made it to nurburg and back without any problems! (ran out of pads on lap 3 but thats minor!)
did a 9.39 with some crappy road works on the track so happy with that.
but the engine was so down on power compared to last year with the 275 cam. the long drag up the hill was slow and 4th was too high and 5th to low..doh!
new injectors and more mapping here we come...

Stuart
01-08-08, 06:46 PM
lol still 2 mins faster than my only timed lap :d