PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED

rightfulnokia
01-10-02, 08:22 PM
Hi I have just recently bought a Nova Trip 1 litre, with NO mods, and need to insure it

I am 17, provisional holder and the cheapest I have been quoted is ?1218.17 and I really wanna pay ?600-?700

I have rang all the common ones including LV and they were no help

anyone got any ideas, if they would i really wud appreciate

Lee

cassanova
01-10-02, 11:08 PM
ive just had a lot of messing about with insurance, im 19, driving 2 years but no NCB and they wanted 1600 on my 1.4 SR. Got it down to ?800 with LV. Best bet on a provisional is being a named driver, i was on my sisters insurance for the last 2 years. Although, insurance is just stupid anyway so if you need to get your own insurance then now's as good a time as any, pity its so fcuking expensive. Try tesco aswell, theyre pretty good, and Adrian Flux.

Hope that makes some sense.

Ford

ade
02-10-02, 12:18 AM
thats insane - for a 1 ltr! How they expect u to afford that - thats 4 times what the cars worth! (no offense!)

Have a look back on thie forum about end of July time (go back through pages) - I posted a similar question when looking for new insurance for my body modded mk2 1.2.

Went with lV in the end but no good for u. Try CIS?

I used to be with Kwik Fit - they were ok - got 10% off tyres too...

Personally I'd not go as a named driver - u wanna build up some NCB asap - the earlier u start the quicker it'll come down - go fully comp too if u can. Piece of mind n that

Ade
:wink:

ali
02-10-02, 12:23 AM
Auright m8
im 18 and ive just got me self insured for a 1.2i nova. Every1 that i tried quoted me stupid prices like a grand and a half. then i found Norwich Union Direct, who managed to reduce it to ?784 for third part fire and theft, which was auright. the good thing was that they wornt bothered with us havin an acident on me motorbike last year, the women told us that she does not need this information. if not, then id recommend that u go on as a second driver i.e. one of ur parents being the first, but i didnt choose this option, since it would enable me to build my no claims.
Ideally i think u shoud get ur licence and then do the pass plus and then insure urself as the 1st driver. The pass plus really helps, cause it cost me 90 quid and saved me about 3oo quid.
Let me know hoe things go
Ali

GR
02-10-02, 09:28 AM
Tesco are quite good for your first years insuance, but will shaft you on your second year, even with a yrs ncb.
Other than that, the ones recommended above.

Adrian Flux are good, but you need to be 19 unfortunately.

rightfulnokia
02-10-02, 11:12 AM
Yeah insane when I only paid bloody ?70 for the car, I got a quote for ?3500 last night with some stupid company, its just a simple "womans" car, no offense to any girls but it has nothing extra, it dont even have a tape player for gods sake, they told me last night that I couldnt go as named driver because I woul drive it more than my dad, stupid or what, i need a really low quote, i am unemployed so that dont elp, would it go down once i have pssed my test, i have been told it wont much

HELP!!!!!

Lee

ade
02-10-02, 11:40 AM
alright m8 -

heres the link I was talking about earlier ref insurance companies - pretty long but some v good companies.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=130374#130374

I suggest start from top and work down...

Ade
:wink:

GR
02-10-02, 12:37 PM
Lee, word of advice, make sure you don't pay anything over about ?1100 on it, i know even that seems a lot and you should if you look hard enough fins summit cheaper, but use ?1100 as a maximum, no higher.

Trust, i been there many a time !

Ric 16v
02-10-02, 06:06 PM
that can't be right !!!!! my insurance was about ?1200 full comp and that was for a 1.2i sx and im 17 as well

Chris LR
02-10-02, 09:56 PM
?990 fully comp 1992 1.4 SR

I'm 17 with 4 months licence, I'm second Driver but I split the ?990 and i have the car about 90% of the time.

Admiral........

?Marty?
03-10-02, 01:23 AM
Jeeeeeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiist! Stop being so bloody lazy and get ringing up insurance companies. The quotes will depend on a number of factors, so just because someone has a good quote from one company, doesn't mean that they'll give you the best one. Some of my mates have the same cars (almost identical mileage/age/condition/price) and do similar jobs, and even live on the same street (but opposite ends), however they both are insured with different companies, as the companie who gave the lowest quote to one was one of the highest for the other one. I have a different insurance company each year, as one company may quote me the highest premium one year, but come renewal time they are the cheapest.

Try insurance Brokers, rather than companies themselves. They will actually get a number of quotes and give you the best. They work on commission, but they'll reduce their commission to get your custom, if that's what they have to do to beat your lowest quote. Though some only use a certain number of companies.

Try Hill House and Hammond, Endsleigh (discounts for students) and Privilege.

rightfulnokia
03-10-02, 09:01 AM
I have rang all those companies that were on that post and the cheapest I got was ?1128 and I want to get it lower, if possible

rightfulnokia
03-10-02, 09:02 AM
I have rang all those companies that were on that post and the cheapest I got was ?1128 and I want to get it lower, if possible :twisted:

Jim
03-10-02, 09:12 AM
I think you'll find the quote will come down when you actually pass your test, even though one of the insurance companies said it wouldn't.

The only way your going to get it cheaper is to become a named driver. When I was 17 I had to pay just over ?600 on a 1.1 B reg fiesta as a named driver on my mums insurance. I thought this was ridiculous, but it was the only way I was going to get to drive the car. Bere in mind I was 17 seven years ago, so no doubt insurance prices for a 17 year old now will be higher.

Being 17 is expensive when it comes to driving, theres nothing you can do, just thank all the f***wits that go around causing crashes and make our insurance premiums higher.

Jim

GR
03-10-02, 09:28 AM
Sorry to piss on your fire, but another bastard is that insurance premiums are going up aswell, as they do most years.

End of the day, insurance is a legal requirement and therefore you have to have it.

Hence the reason why its so fcuking expensive, you HAVE to pay it.
No way out i'm afraid.
If your only 17 , try doing a pass plus scheme, will be v. worth it if you find a company that supports the scheme.
Plenty about, so you should be alright.

rightfulnokia
03-10-02, 10:37 AM
Cheers everybody for giving me a hand, im still on the look out, but hopefully will get it to a grand by the end of the week, thats the problem, the joyriders that crash their cars and make our premiums go through the roof.

Lee

?Marty?
03-10-02, 03:20 PM
Have yout tried the internet?

Direct Line (were A LOT cheaper on the net, than what they quoted me by phone). And that Confused.com site too.

I was 18 when i got my first car and my insurance was ?650 TPFT for a 1.2 Merit (i had quotes over ?1500!). However, just after getting one years No Claims Bonus, it went down to ?400! Not bad eh? Though i then decided to get a 1.4 SR, so it went up to ?700 TPFT. Some companies wouldn't even quote me, saying they'd only do so if i was over 25 years old! Yeah, Right! Wankers.

And anyway, even if it's a grand or so, it's not a big deal as you can pay monthly (not when you're 17 though). Then it seems like hardly anything at all.