PDA

View Full Version : Orange mobile broadbean...

craig green
18-07-08, 02:30 PM
Anyone using or had experience with the Orange mobile broadband shizzle?

I just came out of the phone shop & saw someone going away with a free laptop, got me thinking........

Tilly
18-07-08, 02:34 PM
all i know is they are long contracts i believe 24months or so. so in effect no free laptop as your paying forit on a monthly contract.
But in answer im not on orange

Jack
18-07-08, 02:42 PM
18 month contract, £15 a month but only 3Gb bandwidth which is pretty damned poor - I'd use that up in about 2-3 days.

Riggy
18-07-08, 04:35 PM
18 month contract, £15 a month but only 3Gb bandwidth which is pretty damned poor - I'd use that up in about 2-3 days.

pr0n :eek:

craig green
18-07-08, 04:46 PM
Exactly what I was thinking....... no good for me either then.

Though I was also thinking of starting my own online scam/fraud & general rip off service.

Back to the drawing board.

Sturge
18-07-08, 05:54 PM
If you've got an Orange mobile on cotract of at least 30 quid, then another 5 sees you with unlimited broadband, 8GB, and I've had no problems with mine whatsoever! Oh yeah, free wireless router and landline calls too

Lauren
18-07-08, 09:12 PM
If you've got an Orange mobile on cotract of at least 30 quid, then another 5 sees you with unlimited broadband, 8GB, and I've had no problems with mine whatsoever! Oh yeah, free wireless router and landline calls too

Or if you fancy going for a different company altogether, tiscali give you 8mb unlimited broadband, with a free wireless router and free evening and weekend calls, £9.99 a month line rental included

Mazz
19-07-08, 09:04 AM

We got 'asked' to leave orange BB, mis-use of the fair trade policy!

Alex.
19-07-08, 10:51 AM
Or if you fancy going for a different company altogether, tiscali give you 8mb unlimited broadband, with a free wireless router and free evening and weekend calls, £9.99 a month line rental included

Might have to try that. We're looking for good deals on internet for when we move into our uni house in September.:thumb:

dhdev (Oli)
19-07-08, 11:23 AM
Might have to try that. We're looking for good deals on internet for when we move into our uni house in September.:thumb:

Snap! :thumb:

Andy
19-07-08, 11:27 AM
Whatever you all do DO NOT go with 3broadband im currently locked in a messy battle with them

Welsh Dan
19-07-08, 12:27 PM
Tiscali's service is ****e Alex+Oli.

Lauren
19-07-08, 01:52 PM
Tiscali's service is ****e Alex+Oli.

I've heard that from some but others have had no probs with it, same here, I think its just luck of the draw with any provider

draper
19-07-08, 03:22 PM
im with virgin in this house in in 6months have only had 1 problem when it was first put in, however the engineer was here promptly and excellent service

much better than when i had BT in my old flat !

Welsh Dan
19-07-08, 03:37 PM
I've heard that from some but others have had no probs with it, same here, I think its just luck of the draw with any provider

The connection itself is luck of the draw as far as the physical line goes, because thats handled by one of the many arms of BT. From there its down to the provider. Tiscali have a shoddy network and even worse callcentres. I'm constantly having dealings with various ISP's due to my work, and Tiscali are near the bottom of my list.

L14MNP
19-07-08, 03:48 PM
Sky for me now. Had issues with BT/Tiscali in the past. No problems so far, *touches genuine Rover wood

craig green
19-07-08, 03:52 PM
Tiscali service is utter dross at my parents place, BT is great here at my mates house.

Pretty sure I wont use a mobile BB setup at home though as sole internet option. Just need to get BT to put a line in (grr) & choose a provider.

draper
19-07-08, 03:56 PM
Tiscali service is utter dross at my parents place, BT is great here at my mates house.

Pretty sure I wont use a mobile BB setup at home though as sole internet option. Just need to get BT to put a line in (grr) & choose a provider.

you'll have to stay with BT for a yaer if they put you a new line/re-connect an old line

craig green
19-07-08, 04:05 PM
Really? (either that or tip money down the drain I suppose?)

I'm at my mates place now on BT wireless, its pretty quick to be fair, so if I settled for that (wouldn't use wireless) I'd be happy, we both live on the same new development so I'd asume my speed should be the same...

draper
19-07-08, 04:06 PM
you have to take there minimum contract out unfortunatly, even with BT renting the lines to other companies for competition they still have the monopoly on phone lines

Welsh Dan
19-07-08, 04:38 PM
http://www.eclipse.net.uk/ or
http://www.zen.co.uk/

With a Netgear DG834 should be fine if you want a decent service.

Lauren
19-07-08, 05:01 PM
The connection itself is luck of the draw as far as the physical line goes, because thats handled by one of the many arms of BT. From there its down to the provider. Tiscali have a shoddy network and even worse callcentres. I'm constantly having dealings with various ISP's due to my work, and Tiscali are near the bottom of my list.

To be fair, i did ring the technical support line for tiscali a couple of days ago, and i think the woman i spoke to had about 3 brain cells...

Welsh Dan
19-07-08, 07:21 PM
To be fair, i did ring the technical support line for tiscali a couple of days ago, and i think the woman i spoke to had about 3 brain cells...

You got straight through to level 3?! ;)

Jack
20-07-08, 12:01 AM
lol tiscali proably throttle back heavy users, they did to my mate who was with them.

IIRC BT are one of the "best" for line sharing, which helps maintain a decent speed at busy times.

Also, note that "unlimited" usage isn't unlimited (how they can get away with that is beyond me, its blatant false advertising - it'd be like McDonalds doing an all-you-can-eat burger deal for £5, but you're only allowed a maximum of 2 burgers lol). Having said that, I've never been throttled back, d/c-ed, or even warned about usage by UKO and I'm a pretty heavy user.

conad
20-07-08, 11:21 PM
im on orange BB, i had an orange contract phone so only paid a 5er a month for unlimited BB, i no longer have the phone but still only pay a 5er for my internet. never had any problems, good service.

Breeny
20-07-08, 11:30 PM
I'm on the Orange mobile broadband now...

It's not meant as a complete broadband solution, it's just useful if you travel around a lot etc.

I've been in hospital for 5 weeks so I figured 3GB is better than nothing, as long as your not streaming huge media files or downloading large files, it'll be fine as an ad-hoc connection to check forums and E-Mails etc :)

For everyone else going on about normal DSL connections, I use KeConnect. Expensive but the service and reliability are awesome. No stupid fair usage policies and the like either like the main players.