PDA

View Full Version : traveling to get you nova

turbojolt
17-07-08, 02:43 PM
So how far did you have to travel roughtly to get you nova or novas

what is the furthers you have gone to see and or buy a car

wisewood
17-07-08, 02:55 PM
I went from Rotherham to Margate to collect a 1989 1.3SR in black. It needed a new water pump and cam belt had snapped so had a mate tow me from the place of purchase and drop me by the road a few miles away, and from there i got the AA to take me home.

250 miles give or take a bit. About 3.5-4 hours to get there, and about 8 hours to get home after waiting for "recovery" and swapping from one AA van to another a few times on the way home.

I never got around to fixing it, so it sat for 18 months or so before i eventually decided i might as well get rid of it again. I think it's new home was in Manchester.

turbojolt
17-07-08, 02:56 PM
lol i bet it was cheaper to get aa cover then to get a tow truck lmao

boyle_46
17-07-08, 02:57 PM
i got my car in banbridge about 30 miles from me .

burgo
17-07-08, 02:58 PM
i did an 800 mile trip to sell a car and buy another in one weekend

wisewood
17-07-08, 03:01 PM
lol i bet it was cheaper to get aa cover then to get a tow truck lmao

I didnt have AA cover. I phoned my dad, who had family cover, and after wandering around the area i was in giving him street names so he could get an idea where i was by using some route planning software on his PC (this pre-dates googlemaps lol) he rang the AA and got them to contact me to arrange picking me up.

I did try and get a trailer sorted to get the car home, but couldnt get one quick enough so just settled on a towing bar and managed a few miles before the obvious danger of the brakes not maintaining pressure without the engine running became a bit too scary.

turbojolt
17-07-08, 03:04 PM
i remember when my brother crashed his car around 30 miles away from home on a Sunday and every one was saying 300 quid to get him back so he just rung my uncle and he came down as he had a aa membership and got it towed for free lol

wisewood
17-07-08, 03:08 PM
Yeah this all took place on a Sunday. Fun fun fun.

turbojolt
17-07-08, 03:12 PM
Yeah this all took place on a Sunday. Fun fun fun.

yer sounds it lol

wisewood
17-07-08, 03:15 PM
Cost me £160 for the car, £40 to my mate in fuel... and i also gave him a case of stella that i got free from work anyway. I made a small loss on the car 18 months later but sold it without the alpine 6x9s that were in the back so i figure i was about even lol

tom_beverley
17-07-08, 03:18 PM
500 mile round trip for my beige Nova, rest have been pretty local.

turbojolt
17-07-08, 03:18 PM
you can get a set of alpine 6x9s 2nd hand for like 10 quid mate lol

wisewood
17-07-08, 03:21 PM
You can now. But you couldnt have done that when i bought the car lol how old are you? just out of interest.

edit: Checked your profile, which says you are 20. In which case, when i bought this car you were 12. :-p

hc coupe
17-07-08, 03:34 PM
I've been up to derby from Gatwick/Crawley for a 2k sr.

Then sold it too a chap from Devon for the same price after a re-con gearbox and new new rubber.

Now only go local ;) as these seem to be local jack-pots

Lauren
17-07-08, 03:38 PM
I travelled the 5 miles or so to Stratford where my aunt gave me hers for free. :D

turbojolt
17-07-08, 03:40 PM
You can now. But you couldnt have done that when i bought the car lol how old are you? just out of interest.

edit: Checked your profile, which says you are 20. In which case, when i bought this car you were 12. :-p

along time ago lol

wisewood
17-07-08, 03:42 PM

As per my edit... when you were 12 you wouldnt have got a pair of alpne 6x9s for a tenner.

turbojolt
17-07-08, 03:45 PM
still a lot of hassle for a pair of 6x9's lmao 8 years ago or not

novacabrio
17-07-08, 03:45 PM
I've bought loads from around the country

First GSI came from sheffeild 110 miles
Spider from Swindon 288miles
Spider from Hull 141miles
GSI from Stoke 200miles

Possibly the furthest was a spider I got from Vilengen in Germany 958 miles! Paid £200 for it and used it as a donar car!

duick
17-07-08, 03:47 PM
I took the train from Luxembourg to Nantes in France, about 840km!!!
To pick up my white September 82 !! produced Corsa A.
Everything went fine until the head gasket blew off near Verdun.
Was at 2 AM, middle of the night, got recovered to a village, checked in at 4AM at an hotel, got up again at 9AM to wait for the recovery back to Luxembourg, arrived at 2PM at home lollollol

turbojolt
17-07-08, 03:50 PM
see i have been looking at novas and the ones i want are around 150 miles away i thought that was going to be to far to go lol obviously its not lmao

wisewood
17-07-08, 03:57 PM
still a lot of hassle for a pair of 6x9's lmao 8 years ago or not

Obviously i didnt buy the car for the speakers! lol i just used them as a way to break even on the whole debacle so i wasnt out of pocket - aside from the cost of some soap and water to wash it once in a while while i sat slowly rotting behind my place.

draper
17-07-08, 04:00 PM
i travelled from notts/derby to carlisle for one once, others have just been local ones

got my XE from leics which is failry local

the distance travelling wouldnt put me off a car tho tbh, before i bought my last one i was going to fly to scotland for one lol

wisewood
17-07-08, 04:05 PM
see i have been looking at novas and the ones i want are around 150 miles away i thought that was going to be to far to go lol obviously its not lmao

150 miles is fairly reasonable if it means you get what you want and you cant find it locally. If you can do the trip there and back in a day, its perfectly OK imho.

turbojolt
17-07-08, 04:11 PM
after seeing how far you and some others have traveled i would fell well of only having to travel 150 miles

Leeboo
17-07-08, 04:19 PM
I done a 3 mile round trip for my Nova.

All in one day aswell!

raymond
17-07-08, 04:19 PM
i went from blackburn to tamworth for the one i own now went had a look at it first then came back home and went back down for it the following day

also went from blackburn to gatwick just outside the airport would have been easiar to get a plane from blackpool lol

all others have been local

Jack
17-07-08, 06:18 PM
From Somerset to Rexy's place, oop north. With the much valued help of Dar :thumb:

About 450 miles round trip iirc.

L14MNP
17-07-08, 06:35 PM
About a 60 mile round trip for my SR, have been further for Novas though, been too see one in NW London, one in Luton, and one In Glasvegas, nothing is that far away when you live in the UK :D A good car is always worth travelling for!
Just done Newcastle-Folkestone, Kent and back twice the other weekend so my mate could buy a fresh import Mazda 323 GTR. Approx 1400 miles all in lol
Never let the travelling put you off if it seems a good buy, just factor it into the budget IMO.

Mike
17-07-08, 06:38 PM
I drove 288 mile round trip to pick up a Cav, also done a 450mile+ round trip to pick up a BMW.

My first Nova, the seller delivered to my house for me :D my black GSi was less then a mile away, my other white shell was less then a mile away too.

Riggy
17-07-08, 06:55 PM
lol i went all of 2 miles to get my current one , 1 miles for my old grey one , and my blue one was delivered haha

Mike
17-07-08, 06:57 PM
Thinking about, ive been as far Brighton, been to Essex, been to Skeggy, Blackpool and London all to pick cars up lol

Benn
17-07-08, 07:57 PM
40miles, with a flat tyre and a header tank/water stsyem full to the brim with water.

Lynsey
17-07-08, 08:06 PM
All three of mine have been delivered. First one was brought round by the fellas who used to take all of our donor cars to be scrapped, someone had asked them to scrap it but it was way too good :)
Second one belonged to one of my close mates (for a whole week) but I really wanted it so we did a bit of swapping around.
Third one was only 2 miles from my work, I drove up and had a look around it but only the wife was in and she had no idea, I called back later and managed to outbid a Wythenshaw sc**te by a few quid so the good ol' chap came and dropped it off for me.
This reminds me, I should really send him some photos of how it is now :)

Welsh Dan
17-07-08, 08:17 PM
Mum gave me mine from our driveway :D.

Andy
17-07-08, 08:17 PM
My Sr was 8miles away from my old house in my native Hull,also travelled from there to Bradford for one,then my latest Nova was bought from Dewsbury which is 60odd miles from scarborough,Just before i bought that i travelled to Peterbrough area to look at an Sr but didnt buy it.Its all to easy to travel really far then feel inclined to buy it because of the distance. Also a GTE from Lincoln aswell.Ive had 3 others that were all local to me

turbojolt
17-07-08, 08:31 PM
you lot are all bloody nuts lol

large_steve182
17-07-08, 10:30 PM
i got mines when i was in nam

mayhem
17-07-08, 10:32 PM
the first was deliverd, the XE one also, and my daily was 3 kilometers lol

andy_017
19-07-08, 09:38 AM
my first one was around 3 miles away in rochdale but then my current one was in stockton on sea which was around a 5 hour round trip :thumb:

Graeme
19-07-08, 09:51 AM
Me and my mate drove from Warrington to Pontypridd, south Wales (193 miles) for a set of shafts and a trim one weekend, Whilst he was building a nova van. Then did the same trip the following weekend and broke the full car on this lad's driveway, he said we could take what we wanted due to him already making his money selling the motor and 'box on the 'bay!!!

Lee H
19-07-08, 09:53 AM
White 1.0 - 3 miles away in Oldham
Black GSi - Got it when I was living in Jersey so about 2 miles away.
Yellow SR - Peterborough
Red GSi - Stafford
Red Flair - Got delivered

mowgli
19-07-08, 09:54 AM
Me and my mate drove from Warrington to Pontypridd, south Wales (193 miles) for a set of shafts and a TRIM one weekend, Whilst he was building a nova van. Then did the same trip the following weekend and broke the full car on this lad's driveway, he said we could take what we wanted due to him already making his money selling the motor and 'box on the 'bay!!!

Don't they have hairdressers in warrington????

mowgli
19-07-08, 09:58 AM
I went 50 miles each way twice to get mine. the first to assess it & the second to fit a battery, new fuel line, pump up the tyres etc.

there should be a thread for how long before seeing a car & buying it.

I first saw the car on someones front lawn in 1998. I stuck a note thru the letterbox. in 2000 they rang me to see if I still wanted it. it was a 1.0 with less than 7000 on the clock, of course I wanted it.

Graeme
19-07-08, 09:59 AM
Very good Mowgli, what I ment was an immaculate, complete Gsi interior reupholstered in half leather complete with black dash and late spec digital clocks but didn't think that sort of detail enhanced my post. Lol

Andy
19-07-08, 11:33 AM
i spotted an old guy in a 13Sr totally original in around September 2006 give him my number and said ring me when/if you ever sell it.March 2007 he rang "its yours for £350 son" thanking you sir lol