PDA

View Full Version : RADIATOR???

nova1.2L
01-10-02, 10:41 AM
Ive got a 1.2 E reg nova, i dont know much about them to be honest!!is it normal to have a buzzing sound coming from the engine when the car is idle sometimes?

cheers

GR
01-10-02, 11:20 AM
As with all of these sorts of questions, its hard to give an answer / remedy without hearing the sound in person, as it could be anything !

I'd say if its very loud, then something's up.

ade
01-10-02, 11:41 AM
wheres the buzzing coming from - if its the dizzy area could be the spark clicking around the cap, if its the alternator area could be the belt or the alt itself.

My alt used to buz - turned out to be a dead leaf stick in one of the supports at the bottom. :D

makes a shwishshwishshwish noise now.

Engines! who needs em :roll: (we do!!!)

:D

Aragorn
01-10-02, 05:53 PM
buzzing

the electric cooling fan running could be described as buzzing mebbe

where is temp guage when buzzing starts? near or above middle then its defo cooling fan

next time it does it stick your nut under to bonnet and look :)

nova1.2L
14-10-02, 02:44 PM
cheers people, i cant really describe the sound in any other way than buzzing but its not really a buz!!does that make any sense. im a girl, i dont know much about mechanics :D

Chris LR
14-10-02, 04:12 PM
Well to put an engine simply, theres lots of moving parts,wires,pipes,oil,petrol/diesel and electricity.

Can you tell whereabouts the noise is coming from, left/right/top/bottom? Does the sound go after you drive off or does it take a while to go, while the engine is warming up.

My Nova sometimes makes a clicking/buzzing noise while it's warming up.

nova1.2L
15-10-02, 12:01 PM
It seems to happen when the engines quite warm, say if ive been driving for about 30mins (maybe less) when ive put it into neutral the noise starts.

I reckon it comes from the top right (if u r inside the car) of the engine. As far as I know it stops pretty much as soon as i start moving again!!!Hope no1 minds helping me with this!!

Dicko
15-10-02, 12:31 PM
is it a buzing or more of a vibration? if its vibration it might b becuz the car is ticking over too slowly when its warm.
if its defo a buzzing then it might be alternator bearings, or the cam belt cover flapping about (resinating).

Chris LR
15-10-02, 10:12 PM
I'd tend to agree with dicko but if it only happens when you put it into neutral I'd guess at something else, you also mentioned in this forum that you have difficulty in reverse.

I'm sure it isn't anything too serious, but I'm thinking of a worn gearbox/Clutch. Does it like going into all gears? Is it a 4 speed or a 5 speed gearbox? How many miles has your car done?

Manta Mad
16-10-02, 10:10 PM
Wonder if it could be the timing belt, might be tensioned too much :?:

Dicko
16-10-02, 11:55 PM
it would do it more when cold if timing belt, slackens off a little when warm

nova1.2L
21-10-02, 10:13 AM
its done 57K and its a 4 speed box. the problem with reversing is just when i stop theres a clunk! the gear box is quite smooth