PDA

View Full Version : Jazzing up my knobs

James B
30-09-02, 11:42 PM
i want to add a bit of chrome to my heater knobs etc, wots the best way of doing it? at the moment i can think of two methods

1) buy some chromey heater controls, if there are any suitable substitutes about????

2) spray them a chromy colour (probably look a bit tacky though) and get transfers to put on the top for the little logos, or not even that necessarily.

ill put it to you! which one you reckon all???

James

ade
01-10-02, 12:31 AM
there is a place that will chrome up plastic bits for ya - like the proper chrome stuff but its expensive + I cant think of it - its some mad electroplating place...

You could spray them but coz theyre bobbly surfaced they'll look like shiney plastic vents and not chrome if not done properly (sand back, smooth, prime, chrome, lacquer). Can be done though - just takes time...

Personally, I'd leave them - lots of hastle and if not done properly can look tacky.

Unsure of any direct replacements - unless u fancy modding yer dash and fitting audi tt ones (think they have chrome rings around the vents) now that would look well sweet! :D

My opinions anyway...
:)

?Marty?
01-10-02, 02:48 AM
You can get replacement ones for Peugeot 205's and Renault 5's, but i'm not aware of any company making them for a nova. Not sure how easy it'd be to modify the others to fit.

There are places that can coat them in plastic-chrome like Ade said, but i don't know of any contact details. Could try searching on the yellow pages site.

Another option would be to go to an engineering place and get some made up from billet aluminium on a lathe, using the existing one's as a guide. (now that is a very good idea! in fact i know just the chap that could do it..... :idea: ). Not sure of a price though. Could be up to ?30 for each one.

?Marty?
01-10-02, 02:58 AM
Also you can get chrome steering wheel bosses (Simonei), gearknobs, handbrake levers, window winders, door pulls/door release pulls, door lock pins, wiper stalks, seat recliners/adjusters (Cobra SideWinder - get the backs plastic chromed too!), steeringwheel centers/spokes, rollcage, fire-extinguisher, auxhilliary (is that how i spell the fucker?) gauge pods, engine start button, stick on chrome film (made by folia tec, for under the bonnet. But It'd look cool if you removed the door-cards, peeled off all the material/trimming, and re-covered them with the chrome stick-on film. You could also do this for the black panel that's infront of the dials in the instrument panel i.e. infront of the speedo/rev counter).

And sooooooo on. (Some of the items listed are not stricly chrome, but highly polished billet alloy).