PDA

View Full Version : MK3 Astra / Nova Dilemma

GR
30-09-02, 02:30 PM
As most of you know, at the moment, i'm driving a crappy MK3 Fiesta until next June, when i'll be 19 and also *touch wood* have a 2yrs NCB.

The plan at the moment is to pick up a white MK3 3-door Astra, around the N - P Reg. and start to build a mean machine and take off from where i left off with regards to my Nova that got robbed and stripped. Basically, get back into the modified car scene.

However, after using Novaload and getting back into the community, its kind of brought back my desire to get maybe a Nova GSi / GTE / SRi and start modding with what i already know.
The thing that puts me off the most is finding one that hasnt been ragged to fcukery and the fact i don't want another Nova seizing or getting stolen AGAIN. Obviously it will be v. well secured this time, but i'm still in two minds.

Honest Opinions Please.........

Nice One.

Grant

Anonymous
30-09-02, 02:36 PM
Dont see why a nova is any more likely to blow up than an astra (which is heavier and strainging the engien more) with the same engine.

Only costs a few hundred quid to whack some new shells etc in the engine if you are nervous.

Go for the nova, its lighter, cause if you dont then you will be getting beaten by those of us who have!

Chip

Sid
30-09-02, 02:41 PM
I know of two mint Nova's being sold:

FREAK - around ?1800-2000k. 1.4 Sri, resprayed breeze blue.

NICKYBOY - ?2800 GSi, K reg, 28k miles. red. FSH. Immaculate

I would prob get one of those if I were you!!

GR
30-09-02, 02:48 PM
I won't be buying until around next June time, so at the moment, i'm just looking for peoples opinions in preperation.
I would need it to be standard as they come too, maybe lowered, but nothing too drastic as i don't wanna buy someone else's project.

It is a tough call !! :?

Sid
30-09-02, 02:51 PM
NickyBoys is as standard as they come... a standard minter.
hardly touched . ..or driven.
He lives in Oxford. He originally wanted ?3500 for it, now lower.
It aint gonna be there for long. I wish I had bought that one.

Why not get it now? if the right one comes available (which it has)

GR
30-09-02, 03:01 PM
Fantastic spec and 28k :o is amazing, but i want to get one loan payed off before i add more / take out another, you know how it is !
Typical it's being sold now.

I'll bide my time, something will crop up for sure, just gotta look hard and in the right places.

GR
01-10-02, 11:13 AM
I will most probably be paying an AA or an RAC inspector aswell, just for that second opinion by a professional.
Might be quite pricey, but good piece of mind your getting a reliable, roadworthy motor for definite.

Phil16v
04-10-02, 02:25 PM
what will give you lower insurance?
The astra will probably be more comfortable at higher speeds - bigger cars always are. 5 doors are usually lower insurance and have higher re-sale value. 3 doors look better and often handle slightly better.

If you can get a 1.4 16v astra or a 1.6 16v astra you'd be laughing if your only 19. They're nice cars - i think the mk 3 can look better than the mk 4 if done nicely. Ever seen that supercharged V6 on 20inch rims in fast car magazine?

Or get a nova, whack on wider arched body kit, strip it out and have a legal road racer!!
Personal preference at the end of the day mate!

GR
04-10-02, 02:46 PM
Yeah, i think i know the astra your on about, green thing with about 25 exhausts ?!

I'm still undecided, will just have to wait till nearer the time and go from there.

Phil16v
05-10-02, 08:02 PM
Thats the one!!

Phil16v
05-10-02, 08:14 PM
If you can find one that isn't dead try and get a 1.3 sport (that is NOT an SR) the sprot was a limited edition - 1.3 with twin carbs and some other goodies. Pushing about 100 BHP - so about the same as a GTE/GSi then!!

Ian
06-10-02, 12:38 PM
i wouldnt recommend getting a sport if your planning to modify as these are already rare and you will completely lose any value it had.

im obviously biased but id have to say a nova, astras are too big heavy and taxi like, fine if you have a family, but not for fun, a nova is always gonna be quicker as nice and light

put it this way go out in a 2.0 16v nova and astra, and there wont be a decision to make.

Rick Draper
06-10-02, 02:47 PM
I would not get a 5 door astra, as even if you have a pass for a stand at Trax you get put in the family car park! lol Hu PhilM? Rick

carltoncrazy
10-10-02, 05:30 PM
astra, easyer to find a standard one,look newer,less done up ones about.cruise better(as stated b4),and dont have a reputaiontion,
nova.benn there done that etc,
latest you culd get is a l reg nova(i think),
novas are getting old now,this is the probley,ya can patch replace repair etc,but end of the day they are getting dated.
however the astra aint,higher chances of getting a low milage 1,higher chances of fsh etc.
if you can afford it get the astra,
************MY OPION,I.E YA CANT CANN ME FOR IT"*******************