PDA

View Full Version : Gear linkage help!

rysmee
15-07-08, 01:54 PM
I've got a short shift linkage for an f13 box but after bolting it all up the ball joint with the 'square' part (that then bolts to the shift rod) keeps popping off. i dont know if this is because the shifting is so stiff or if its the fault of the joint. i know the linkage on the nova is useless but is this a normal problem when using a short shift or what?
any help much appreciated.. going to the ring in a week and need it 100%!
cheers

Dod
15-07-08, 02:01 PM
If you disassemble the joint where it keeps popping off you'll see theres a small plastic Bushing in there. Its a safe assumption its knackered and these arent available from Vauxhall anymore so best get a set of 2nd hand linkages from the scrappie mate.

rysmee
15-07-08, 10:38 PM
yeah the bushing is knackered thats for sure! it moves a good cm within the metal casing part.
Already got two more from other novas.. and the same happens, so there must be a fix?! or something that someone has done? I suppose it doesnt help that the linkage is so tight at the pivot point due to the uprated bushes.

Mike
15-07-08, 10:43 PM
No fix, when you disassemble a nova linkage they break and fall to bits. This is why a lot of people never bother with short shifters :thumb:

rysmee
15-07-08, 10:57 PM
too late now!
it wasnt the short shift i really wanted - more so just to get rid of the tin of mushy peas feeling in the gear stick. i'm fed up with guessing which gear im going to get!

FB_evolutions
15-07-08, 11:34 PM
lol i went thru the stage of going through them monthly!
my problam was due to a short shift S arm linkege! bin the things unless u can get a decent one!

i remember once i had bodge job it to get work had use a top of a lucazade bottle pull top, then drill into the square make 2 half pipe shap squeer metal to pot rivet to the top of it to clamp it in and it worked for 3 weeks with no problam till i cud find one for sale.

but there the ruff **** engineer way :D lol

Welsh Dan
15-07-08, 11:41 PM
Note that mine isnt finished yet, but rose joints are the solution to the problem, along with new main pivot bushes made from nylon or brass.

http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/linkage1.jpg

Adam
16-07-08, 04:18 PM
/\ And those RJ linkages make the linkage feel awesome compared to the standard worn one

mowgli
16-07-08, 04:37 PM
can anyone give me the part no for the standard link rod? I want to try my local gm dealer.

Adam
16-07-08, 05:19 PM
Or

mowgli
16-07-08, 06:35 PM
Ta, it comes friday. they have good stock at vauxhall

the bloke has some old stock nova stuff, I'll get a list