PDA

View Full Version : 1.8i 8v fitting

Richie_k83
15-07-08, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know if a cavalier 1.8i 8v will fit into a K reg 1.2 spi nova? iv got both complete cars but not sure what il need exactly to get the 1.8 fitted and running. any ideas? :confused:

peester
15-07-08, 09:39 AM
..be the same as fitting a 2.0 16v XE.. same block.. externally.

*EDIT: worth advising youll be a few bhp up over a 1.6 8v small block nova GSi engine, but the small block will be lighter, easier to fit. The money you save can be spent on tuning the 1.6 8v instead; then youll be better off power and weight wise.

craig green
15-07-08, 09:46 AM
If its a late 1.8 8v (spi) then its about the same power as a 1.4 carb'd lump (dont bother).

However a 1.8 mpi from the likes of an early Astra GTE or mk2 Astra/Cav SRi etc is well worth doing IMO. Great engines, you could get it in on an F13 or F15 box too, so you dont need to faff about with CV joints or big block shafts etc.

[edit] Theres a mk2 Astra SXi for sale on this forum. Ideal engine!

Richie_k83
15-07-08, 09:55 AM
It is the 1.8 mpi, will i need to buy a fitting kit to do the transplant? If so where can i buy one from? will much be needed to be done to hook up the gear linkages?

craig green
15-07-08, 09:58 AM
Chris Astley MS does the big block fitting kits. Its the same as fitting a 2.0.

Use the std Nova linkage on the donor box, IIRC you just need to reverse the UJ coming off the turret on the box.

Dod
15-07-08, 09:58 AM
You'll need a gear box spacer, a lowering kit for the drivers side front mount, a gear box as stated by Craig above and a flywheel to suit, an Astra MPI Fuel Pump to convert your own and after that, with regards to the wiring, its unplug and plug in iirc, although the Cav wiring enters the engine bay on the drivers side as opposed to the Novas Passenger side entering.

Dod
15-07-08, 09:59 AM
Infact, in this months TV they detail a lot of what you're asking about.

Richie_k83
15-07-08, 10:08 AM
So i take it il have to change the ECU also?

peester
15-07-08, 10:26 AM
dude,.. yes ecu some wiring, strengthen the engine bay, brakes, suspension, modify exhaust, - usual XE refinements.

jimbob-mcgrew
15-07-08, 12:47 PM
even if its the spi version it will chip i reckon, i used to have one of those in a cavalier, and it was a decent pulling engine when it got going, and topped out at 130 mph in the cav. the only thing that let it down was the weight of the cavalier lower down in the rev band, which youll instantly loose transplanting it to a nova. if its the mpi version, itll be even quicker. prob good idea to get some slighty wider wheels too, to stop it spinnin thru 1st and 2nd as i no doubt imagine it will.

meritlover
15-07-08, 12:50 PM
surely an even better idea would be to go easier on the throttle then ?

jimbob-mcgrew
15-07-08, 12:58 PM
heheh, meritlover u firebreathing spawn of satan devil woman.. richie wants full throttle constantly, he's on a mission!

Dod
15-07-08, 01:00 PM
Fit a CR F16 Gear box from an SRi Cavalier and that'll help it. Also, most SRi Cav Parts fit the 1800, although gains would be minimal.

Richie_k83
18-07-08, 08:51 PM
Cheers for the input folks, just got another couple of questions. firstly the engine is fitted with an F16 box, will this fit ok? Secondly will the brake discs and calipers bolt straight to the nova hubs? and finally not sure what to do about the driveshafts, will i get away with the 1.8 uj's and 1.2 driveshaft?