PDA

View Full Version : Piston Marks

garethcolley
14-07-08, 08:25 PM
Ive just taken the head off to change my gasket and checked the tops of the pistons. 2,3 & 4 all have a highly polished area for some reason but the rest is covered in carbon. Any ideas what this is or what could cause it? I think that because its running slightly rich maybe they excess fuel is cleaning up the piston? Piston 1 is just starting to do it.

Images can be found on the following link,,,

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/monocult/Gaz/PistonPic.jpg

meritlover
15-07-08, 12:45 PM
thats pretty normal. under the plug is where the fire starts so its usually warmer there and carbon wont stick at a higher temperature.

it looks quite healthy and no det. perhaps the rings are worn causing a bit of carbon round the crown, but like meritlover says, its pretty normal.

garethcolley
15-07-08, 07:52 PM
thats pretty normal. under the plug is where the fire starts so its usually warmer there and carbon wont stick at a higher temperature.

it looks quite healthy and no det. perhaps the rings are worn causing a bit of carbon round the crown, but like meritlover says, its pretty normal.

Why would having worn rings cause excess carbon on the crown mate?

jimbob-mcgrew
16-07-08, 01:16 PM
the oil mixes with the fuel and air on the molecular level and forms a substance called cyclon-b, its prety much a recipe for coke

jimbob-mcgrew
16-07-08, 01:52 PM
lol that sounded semi-convincing

white2lSR
16-07-08, 07:16 PM

eh?

garethcolley
16-07-08, 09:13 PM
Anyone else got an opinion on the polished marks?

Stuart
16-07-08, 09:59 PM
Anyone else got an opinion on the polished marks?

as said, its where the flame front starts, and also under the inlet (iirc) meaning the fuel will clean it up a little and also the heat will keep it clean.

Stuart
16-07-08, 10:00 PM
the oil mixes with the fuel and air on the molecular level and forms a substance called cyclon-b, its prety much a recipe for coke

Thats the something new learnt for today :thumb:

garethcolley
16-07-08, 11:00 PM
Cheers lads