PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel

Aragorn
29-09-02, 08:53 PM
ok this is fcukin stupid

ij just wont come off

ive tapped it in all directions smacked it with a hammer i even had meself an 2 other folk pullin like FUCK but it just wouldnt budge

i ended up giving up after i noticed haynes said not to hammer it as u can damage the colapsible column

so wtf is the deal?

how do i get the bugger off :o

MattyWoo
29-09-02, 09:36 PM
I oulled, pulled and pulled, i found it helps if u swear at least 5 times a minute :lol: , in the end i think i got a crowbar and hammer and everything onto it and it finally popped off.
People seem to ask quite often on here, get your knees behind it and pull with your hands, and for gods sake leave the nut on a little bit, else u'll have a black eye and a few missing teeth!!!

Ben (lurk75)
29-09-02, 11:33 PM
i always laughed at people asking in here how to get them off, but then last week i tried to do mine... i bent a puller and various other tools, beat it and smashed it... still wouldnt budge, my brother made up a kinda puller at work but we bent this to in the end my mate pulled it really softly and it popped of in his hands, i called him a few names and then said that i must have loosened it :lol:

?Marty?
30-09-02, 02:12 AM
:lol:

you need a two legged-puller. go down to your local vauxhall dealer and see if they'll lend you one (to use outside). worked for me. though most places do work for me and end up sayin' "you're all right, mate" when i ask them how much they want. Nice one.

Alex
30-09-02, 10:13 AM
WD40 helps

GRVaux
30-09-02, 10:53 AM
The key to it is just NOT TO GIVE UP.

It will come off

...you just don't know when. I almost gave up after about 20mins of beating the shit out of the circumference of my steering wheel.
I took a final few wallops round the edges with a hammer and it flew off into the back rear window.

In other words, keep out the way unless you want to look like Ren & Stimpy.
Its very satisfiying once completed !

Alex
30-09-02, 11:58 AM
i think the collapsable steering thingy the haynes manual talks about isjust the black plastic cover, so if your worryed, just unscrew it.

Chris LR
30-09-02, 12:03 PM
Guarenteed result!

Loose bolt and gently tap 95% of the time this won't get it off but you do have to smack the steering coloum with a large hammer very carefully.

I tried for about 1/2 an hour putting several holes in the wheel then smacked the colum with a lump hammer and it came right off.

I then spent the next 20 mins driving round an empty car park with the wheel on/off tring to get it straight.

wisewood
30-09-02, 12:43 PM
Undo nut - then put back on about 1/4 way down...

then do what i did - TUG, push, pull, HEAVE, punch, smack, swearing constantly... stop for a coffee and a smoke... continue as before...

comes off eventually.

jon_boy
30-09-02, 01:47 PM
undo the nut and put it on a wee bit to stop accidents. put ur seat right back and ur feeot right into the footwell. with a hand on either side of the wheel lift arse off chair soo most of weight on wheel . then swing a bit from left to right till it comes off.

mowgli
03-10-02, 10:39 PM
The Puller method usually works.

The loosening the nut a bit, getting to big lumbering lads to pull on it whilst you hit the column with a hammer method also works quite well.

I would not recommend using too much lubrication cos the joint is meant to be tight.

The deformable column is the tube under the dash that has the holes in it, I should know cos I once deformed one. ouch

bob
03-10-02, 11:11 PM
on my first nova, and my 1400, the steering wheels were nails to get off! no matter how much u pulled, pushed, hit, wobbled, tugged n levered em,u cudnt get em to pudge,ud curse em,go in for a quick cuppa come out sayin"rite u bstard come on!" u still cudnt do it,then ud give up,sat in ur seat with arms folded,and say to urself,"sod" and hit the steering wheel once,at that precise moment, it would jump off the column making a springing sound,and u will feel like uve just s.haggedthat fit bird from tescos form behind,2 times!