PDA

View Full Version : Having worring thoughts..

Rick Draper
08-07-08, 11:09 PM
Seeing Keiths car and how amazing it looks, especially the front end with the FMIC/Rad/oil cooler setup i am having thoughts of building another nova :cry: to replace the red one when it goes.

I have been thinking mk2 front, same rad/fmic/oil cooler as keith and andy, GSI bumper and skirts, gaz coilovers front and rear, full weld in multi point cage (from fabricage) with triangulations to strut tops at the front, C20LET with phase 2 or so (enough power for a good track car like Rich's one) but without the need for mapping, F28 with a plate diff, corsa brake pedal setup, corsa EPAs column, flocked dash, wilwood front brakes of a sensible size to fit under 15 or 16" comp mo's, polycarb windows and a stripped inside.

What does everyone think? Before people go saying finish the one you have first its 99% done and ready for a final map. It aint fun to drive as it has to much power, it aint a track car either and has far to much money tied up in it. I think with a budget of £6k i can build the above car, including buying the car in the first place, do other people share my belief?

novacabrio
08-07-08, 11:21 PM
Sell the bits from works and use your shell?

Rick Draper
08-07-08, 11:30 PM
Sell the bits from works and use your shell?

Nope use a shell with no sunroof. Not really taken by red anymore :cry: and i recon i could get good wedge for my shell.

The Simps
08-07-08, 11:30 PM
I have been thinking mk2 front, same rad/fmic/oil cooler as keith and andy, GSI bumper and skirts, gaz coilovers front and rear, full weld in multi point cage (from fabricage) with triangulations to strut tops at the front, C20LET with phase 2 or so (enough power for a good track car like Rich's one) but without the need for mapping, F28 with a plate diff, corsa brake pedal setup, corsa EPAs column, flocked dash, wilwood front brakes of a sensible size to fit under 15 or 16" comp mo's, polycarb windows and a stripped inside.

Pretty much what I've decided to build after selling my red one.

Chap track toy, thats where its at. As soon as you start putting too much money into it you change the way you drive it. I'm building mine slowly acquiring part cheaply 2nd hand as I go.

Rick Draper
08-07-08, 11:43 PM
Pretty much what I've decided to build after selling my red one.

Chap track toy, thats where its at. As soon as you start putting too much money into it you change the way you drive it. I'm building mine slowly acquiring part cheaply 2nd hand as I go.

When i look at mine its none of what the above car would be. Its not a track car, its not a quarter car and its not a usable car.

If i break the red one there are a number of parts i could re-use like the shafts, possibly the box, dash display, strut brace, top mounts and possibly the 3" system to match to a 3" downpipe that would fit the kkk. All in all its fair bit of cost already removed from the build of a new car. I think i could weld in the cage as well, if not weld it in i could certainly tack it up and get a mate to weld it in then i would just spray the inside in my garage with a mate compressor.

The Simps
08-07-08, 11:46 PM
Just hold certain parts back as you say.

I was lucky enough to hold back my coilovers & top mounts when I sold the red one which instantly saved me around £600.

CP
09-07-08, 12:03 AM
:roll: rickitislol

Fair play i know what you're saying. Mots of us, if we are honest have had similar thoughts.

As you get older (yeah yeah blah old bloke bollox blah blah)lol you realise that life isn't black or white and that what you actually want is a series of different cars for different occasions.

I for instance love my Nova on track - its great at that and **** at any other form of driving. But I sometimes long for the days when I used to razz around the roads in its 1.4 SR on twin 40's guise. Something gained/something lost -thats life

I rather suspect that you are the kind of bloke who builds something for the sake of it or to prove a point. When you have finished 1 project the fun is over and you are looking for another. Why not? Just make sure you know what you are are giving away when you sell your latest baby

Rick Draper
09-07-08, 12:10 AM
I rather suspect that you are the kind of bloke who builds something for the sake of it or to prove a point. When you have finished 1 project the fun is over and you are looking for another. Why not? Just make sure you know what you are are giving away when you sell your latest baby

I love the build, the satisfaction of seeing it come together but if i am honest with myself the current build strayed miles off course over the process of the build. I should never have gone for management and stupid sized turbo and brakes, then it would have been a bit more usable.

CP
09-07-08, 12:25 AM
Why does any of that matter?

Its done. You did what you were interested in at the time. There doesn't have to be a logical reason. Plenty of peeps thought it was an interesting idea - look a the post count to your build thread - that in itself is a good enough reason

Anyway there's nothing to stop you buying a cheapo 2.0 XE conversion out of the papers, tarting it up for a few squids and having great fun razzing about like a teenager beating up the local Fords and Scoobies

Stuart
09-07-08, 08:25 AM
I like the look of that bulid on VS with the tubular lower X member on the front etc.... that would be a good one to follow :D

hybridturbo
09-07-08, 08:50 AM
I would just keep what youve got get another set of wheels (that still clear the brakes) and run it on a different 300hp map on track if thats possible :thumb:

RJM25R
09-07-08, 08:59 AM
I would just keep what youve got get another set of wheels (that still clear the brakes) and run it on a different 300hp map on track if thats possible :thumb:

Still spent squillions of quid on the whole thing, and you WON'T (WON@T) drive it as hard on the track, as a "built for £6grand" track car.:thumb:

Rick Draper
09-07-08, 12:05 PM
Still spent squillions of quid on the whole thing, and you WON'T drive it as hard on the track, as a "built for £6grand" track car.:thumb:

Correct, with so much cash in it and a engine that is not really suitable for track use due to the way the power comes in etc.

Best if i want to keep a nova to start with a fresh page i think.

BRoadGhost
09-07-08, 04:08 PM
Make an FR layout like austin :)