PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing

Aragorn
27-09-02, 08:44 PM
i was standing next to my car today talking to one of my mates

my mate put his foot on me offside back tire and pushed it

to our total surprise the entire wheel tilted inwards at the top

my mate then got down to look at it and gave it a good shove and the entire drum and wheel assembly was tilting with the pressure

he thaught it was the wheel bearing and said it happens if youve got too wide wheels on the car

the wheels are only 195/60/14 from an astra GTE

im guessing this is quite serious so im gonna take it into a garage tomorrow to get it sorted but is this true about the wide wheels?

should i get both rear bearings replaced together?

thanks

aragorn

14sr
27-09-02, 10:10 PM
LARGE wheels do put more stress on the bearings . but a set of 14" rims should not make that much of a diffrence gte's have the same bearings as the nova so do some vectras with rims as big as 215/15 . hope this helps

ade
27-09-02, 11:39 PM
check yer split pin - u never know it may have snapped and the bolt come loose - unlikely though unless dodgy garage put same pin back.

sounds like bearing - does it whine (humming noise that gets louder) when you drive (40mph+)?

If so bearing

Ben (lurk75)
28-09-02, 12:17 AM
both mine on the club are going i keep tightening them up a bit but only got to last a week or so, am hoping they dont collapse :?

Aragorn
28-09-02, 12:35 AM
the only thing ive ever noticed recently is the rear end stepped out on 2 roundabouts i was goin round and i wasnt goin fast at all

not really stepping out either car just felt totally unstable as if ground was moving - i put it down to the rear tire on the other side which is slowly letting air out and was low on both occasions - but now i think about it and its prolly this

anyway gonna try to source a bearing tomorrow and fit that

brian
28-09-02, 07:46 PM
if yer wheel and drum etc are all moving together then maybe yer stub axel is loose. check the 4 bolts where the stub bolts onto the rear beam

Chris LR
28-09-02, 08:55 PM
Could be bearing, mine is on the way out and it sounds kinda like a 'light sabre at full tilt' when you go above 35-45mph, vibrates the whole car as well.

ade
28-09-02, 11:31 PM
Could be bearing, mine is on the way out and it sounds kinda like a 'light sabre at full tilt'

LOL!

That HAS to be the best description for any weird car noise ever!

Nice 1 m8!

Aragorn
29-09-02, 12:35 AM
heh ok turned out the bearing retaining nut threads were rounded

which explains the lack of howling or whining

anyway just replaced the bearings - they havent been dont since i got the car so its piece of mind eh?

thanks

brian
29-09-02, 07:44 PM
'light sabre at full tilt'
WHAT??????? :o :?

Aragorn
29-09-02, 08:50 PM
the geeessswwwwwoooooeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww sound a light sabre makes when u wing it at someone :)

ade
29-09-02, 11:42 PM
lol!

its mor of a wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooor rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmwwwwwwwwhhhhhhh hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm noise!

Glasgows so doverse theres actually a pub up here round the corner from my gaff called Bar Jedi!

The front looks like the back end of a space ship (rocket exhausts) and inside the bar is in the shape of Darth Vaders helmet (head piece not knob!)

The back wall has 3 projectors each with a link to play PS2 games!

Its backed every night - well cool - plays some excellent tunz too!

Ade
:wink:

Chris LR
30-09-02, 11:59 AM
Well i'm 99.9% sure the possesed light sabre noise is the wheel bearings, I don't remember having an engine swap with the millenium falcon recently.

It's a 1992 SR on the reg certificate, Not a bloody X-wing

wisewood
30-09-02, 12:37 PM
lol!

its more of a wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooor rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmwwwwwwwwhhhhhhh hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm noise!

Quite possibly the best written down light sabre noise ever... lol
George Lucas would struggle to describe it better.