PDA

View Full Version : Suspension problem - massive toe-out

rubachuk
08-07-08, 10:01 PM
Fitted a set of Spax RSX today and after I fitted the fronts and lowered the car back down I noticed the wheels were pointing in opposite directions :eek: Probably about 20-30 degrees out!

I adjusted the toe out back to something like straight with a huge adjustment to the track rod ends (I think they're called) and I'll take it to a garage to get everything properly set up but is this normal? Can't say I've ever heard of it before.

The coilovers have been modded slightly on the top hole which attaches to the steering knuckle. They've had washers welded to the outside and the holes drilled to compensate for the camber (like that when I bought them) but I wouldn't expect this to cause a problem.

Any ideas?

jimbob-mcgrew
08-07-08, 10:07 PM
are they beyond un-modding, to return them back to factory ?

sounds like the matey that had it before you is more bodge than me and djshaggeh.

hopefully you can still get the tracking square.

mowgli
08-07-08, 10:53 PM
were they s/hand or new?

as for the toe out, if you swap any part of the front suspension, you should expect to get the tracking re-set as it will always put it out of track

John
08-07-08, 10:57 PM
Full camber/toe check required.

burgo
09-07-08, 01:36 AM
its perfectly normal for it to alter the toe that much. at pv last year we slammed my car on the camp site. when it came to leaving i had to pull over and raise it back up as it was all over the place as it had altered the toe that much.

best thing to do is to go to your local wheel alignment place and lower it there and then and then get it set up

rubachuk
09-07-08, 07:15 AM
Thanks guys, I was expecting to have to take it to get all the front geometry checked/set up - I just wasn't expecting such a massive change.

Mowgli - they we're second hand (although apparently never made it to the road) and were modded when I got them although its not the bodge job it sounds.

rubachuk
09-07-08, 11:49 AM
Got it booked in for a full 4 wheel alignment/geometry set up on one of the fully computerised systems which do it all. There doesn't seem too many of these set ups around. Bit pricey maybe but whats a pair of new tyres gonna keep costing you?

Details if they're any use to anyone:

http://www.drurylaneservices.com/index.htm