PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 head on a 1.4 block

jimbob-mcgrew
08-07-08, 09:47 PM
i hear this a good combo, whats the best way of going about it, have inlets, exhausts, and carbs for both. (if djshaggeh doesnt mind me pinching bits) :D

cheers.

mowgli
08-07-08, 11:09 PM
should be ok, make sure you use the right manifolds so the ports match up.

jimbob-mcgrew
08-07-08, 11:14 PM
1.2 manifold will, altho i hear a 1.3sr gives better power.
will the pierburg 2e from the 1.4 fit onto the 1.2 manifold ?

AlexW
08-07-08, 11:52 PM
iirc no the 1.4 has square ports while the 1.2 has funny shape ones.

burgo
09-07-08, 01:38 AM
one thing to remember is you may end up having to run on super fuel to stop it pinking due to higher compression ratio

Stuart
09-07-08, 10:01 AM
aye, measure the compression ratio!

jimbob-mcgrew
09-07-08, 11:34 AM
sounds like alot of effort for an engine thats gonna pop as soon as i put my foot down, is it worth it ?

i wanted to go for 1600 8v on carb, but lack of money, this might be a good temp power hike untill then, or if it runs well,, a permanent one

AlexW
09-07-08, 12:46 PM
imo its not worth all the hassle, But if you decide to, theres a whole 1.2 engine here if you want a head or anything from it.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-07-08, 01:44 PM
ive got a nice running 1.2 installed allready, but cheers for the offer.
will probably just stick with it tbh, the extra money it'll cost to get the 1.4 up and running, could probably buy a 1600, ill wait for one i think.

Stuart
09-07-08, 02:03 PM
measuring the CR isnt that hard. And it means you can work out if its worth doing before you do it.

jimbob-mcgrew
12-07-08, 03:19 AM
how do i work the compression ratio out ?

is there any way to compression test this 1.4 engine out of the car allready. rig up a battery to the starter somehow ? lol

how do you go about honing the bores, and what does it do exactly ?
how much does a fresh set of rings cost and where can i find them ?

would the 1.2 inlet and carb be cool on the 1.4 block for now ?
i need a 1.3sr inlet to fit the 2e carb right ?

can i use the 1.2's breakerless ignition, or will i have to put the 1.4's dizzy & coil, and run points ?

anything i should be paying close attention to, doing this kind of thing ?

and burgo - you mean super unleaded ?

jimbob-mcgrew
13-07-08, 02:48 AM
haynes manual time

infact thinking about it, if all i did was change the bottom end for now, that'd run wouldnt it, and itll set the base for everything else to go on when i get it, probably best doing that as ill need to move the car in the next month or so on, and i dunno where to put it yet, where its parked i cant really leave engines and stuff laying about and it kinda needs to stay mobile, even tho it doesnt run at the moment lol, got a few bits to take of before i can turn the key.