PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 and Mk2 Differences

toymex
08-07-08, 08:54 PM
I know this may be a silly question but what are the diferrences other than the obvious,wings grille bumpers headlights etc,i am reshellling my sport and wondered if there are any differences in the main shell,any help much appreciated:thumb:

Steve
08-07-08, 09:10 PM
You will need a diffent taligate as the sport don't have the grab handle. I am sure there's a few diffrences but can't think of them. Oh yeah mk2s are far worse for rust.

Jack
08-07-08, 09:15 PM
Sport will have the early style door handles won't it?

John
Where's rich when you need him!
iirc the front panels are different on late mk1's and mk2's. Bonets are also different. Check strap fitments on the a post are also different. They're bolted on the early mk1s.
If you're bothered about all this stuff i'd hold out and find a good nick mk1 shell or repair yours.

toymex
Thanks m8 it will get a fibreglass one in time so that is no problem and it will only be a track car and heavily waxoiled so rust shoudn,t be too much of a problem

John
08-07-08, 09:16 PM
If it's only for track use the shell will be fine, if you're going for concourse i'd go for a matching mk1 shell.

toymex
08-07-08, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replys i am not too worried by the things you cant see /aren,t obvious it is just the main exterior fittings ,i am not sure about the slam panel i think it looks different but havent had the shells side by side yet,the new shell is away having the strenghthening plates and seam welding done and a few alterations to the cage to pick up the rear coilover mounts

ben doodar
09-07-08, 09:14 PM
im sure i read some where, once opon a time, that the mk2 rear arches were 5mm wider than the mk1, its probly b0llox though. and im sure you wouldnt be too botherd anyway.

Jack
09-07-08, 09:24 PM
Vauxhall had a 5mm tolerance when making the nova afaik, so there's usually quite a bit of difference between each one. Thats also why pattern panels can be a nightmare to fit, as they're usually built to better tolerances than the GM items lol