PDA

View Full Version : Turbo xe?

Nobby
07-07-08, 05:40 PM
I have been thinking and chatting to people about turbocharging my xe? i know some people say just go for a let but im not on that kind of budget at the moment so was thinking about getting all the c20let extras - manifold turbo tophat intercooler etc etc and putting them onto my xe. Now my gaffer seems to think it will run on standard xe managment has anyone done this before or am i talking out my ****?? :confused: :thumb: would just like a bit more info?

Adam
07-07-08, 05:54 PM
It costs as much as, if not more than a Let to do.

Just the LET ecu/loom goes for about £150

Mike
07-07-08, 05:58 PM
Think about it, if it was that cheap & easy to do, everyone would have done it :thumb: but no, people fit LET engines instead ;)

Nobby
07-07-08, 06:21 PM
so it is possible then?? what would i need extra then or is it better to go for a 8v turbo??

Adam
07-07-08, 06:25 PM
Yes its possible, but you need pretty much a complete let to swap the bits off,Lol.
Pistons etc all need swapping

Nobby
07-07-08, 06:28 PM
so would it be better to go for some TB's or carbs?? not meaning to sound like a dumb **** but im being told you can pretty much bolt the let ancillaries on to the xe and away you go?

R1CH
07-07-08, 06:28 PM
To turbo your XE your gonna need LET pistons, exhaust cam, exhaust valves, injectors, fuel reg, loom and ECU, tophat, IC and pipework, Turbo, AFM, Throttle body ?
Probly a few other bits and bobs as well, can imagine an 8v Turbo costing more due o parts being less available.

ck
07-07-08, 10:09 PM
pefectly doable tbh. you can use a completely standard un touched xe and its standard managment. but you will be limited to less than 10psi of boost (if u want it to last at all)

youcan do it propely and convert your xe into an let. if building it yourself it will cost less this way than buying a complete let setup. doing it this way will work out about the same if not slightly more than buying a complete LET but this way you wll have a re-built engine in with the price.

internaly its just LET pistons you need and the small bits to do a freshen up rebuild (idealy arps too)

but then where alot of the cash comes in is for a good turbo, good loom, and all the correct sensors ect.

if it was something you were planning on doin slowly it could be worth while than buying a whole let setup. this way you can slowly build the enginr, and buy the pieces as and when you have the cash.

Nobby
07-07-08, 11:01 PM
pefectly doable tbh. you can use a completely standard un touched xe and its standard managment. but you will be limited to less than 10psi of boost (if u want it to last at all)

that is exactly what ive been told lol:thumb:

Mike
08-07-08, 06:56 AM
if building it yourself it will cost less this way than buying a complete let setup. doing it this way will work out about the same if not slightly more than buying a complete LET but this way you wll have a re-built engine in with the price..

Contradiction or what :confused:

Internally the only thing you need is LET pistons? Incorrect :thumb: Use your head FFS, seriously if it was that easy & cheap, every mother fcuker with an XE would be doing it wouldnt they!!!!! Just think what your saying for a minute.

burgo
08-07-08, 08:27 AM
Contradiction or what :confused:

Internally the only thing you need is LET pistons? Incorrect :thumb: Use your head FFS, seriously if it was that easy & cheap, every mother fcuker with an XE would be doing it wouldnt they!!!!! Just think what your saying for a minute.not at all true mike. alot of people dont dare try new things. imo opinion you dont even need the let pistons. i assume you havnt seen the latest spate of "high" compression turbo'd cars. it all depends how much power you want at the end of the day

Dod
08-07-08, 09:52 AM
The 8v Turbo is doable as well, remember a few months back a Crowd of NI lads were doing a TV Rolling Road feature and 3 or 4 of them had 8v Turbo DIY engines making decent power. Theres a lad in Belfast that does Conversions for them.