PDA

View Full Version : Growling and Hissing!

michaelbould
27-09-02, 11:22 AM
having a problem at the moment, I am getting to around 3,500 ish revs, and the car starts to 'growl' and accelartion is almost impossible from then on. Also sometimes, usually in 5th gear around the same point as when the engine growls, something hisses a few times (short ones) and the car jerks, so i drop the clutch and it stops hissing and jerking. Anyone and ideas or things i could try?

Oh and also, when pulling away from still or a few mph (traffic jams, stopping and starting etc) the car stutters a lot and theres a loud rattling noise coming from the back somewhere. It happens when the clutch bites. If i use a lot of revs it's not as noticable.

Cheers

snapper
27-09-02, 12:18 PM
stuttering and jerking, to me that sounds like the engine is misfiring. when was the last time your car was serviced?

ade
27-09-02, 03:14 PM
the rattling from the rear will be yer exhaust vibrating - sounds like your pulling away in too high a gear and the clutch spins

What engine u got/model?

When I accelerate recently I get "rattling" - its actually pinking due to carbon build up/timing being out.

Need to get moine tuned/decoked!

TUNA knows what yer hissing is - check yer pipes. Is it a carb? Could be blow back/ blocked

Does it idle erratically?
Whats yer temp gauge like? Overheating?

Is the rattle rhythmical (like its timed) or is it random - taps or knocks etc...

Sounds like yer clutch plates shagged - need more revs to get a bite - either that or your gears are fucked - trying to pull away oin too high a gear (see above)

Ade
:|

michaelbould
27-09-02, 06:47 PM
Yes it does misfire when starting sometimes, and yes it does idle a little bit irratically, i think it needs a service.......

Its a 91 1.4SR Webber Carb, K+N.........

ade
27-09-02, 11:36 PM
service it, then get them to do compression check.

Either timings way out or worst case - head gaskets gone.

ade

snapper
28-09-02, 12:38 AM
the distributer cap might be cracked, i think. i'm not a mechanic but having a look at the ignition system (dizzy, plugs, leads etc) would be my first choice.

mainly because it's cheaper than a head gasket :wink: [/i]

ade
28-09-02, 11:28 PM
good point - never thrt of that...

u could try some carb cleaner too (if a carb)

michaelbould
29-09-02, 06:02 PM
actually did try some carb cleaner, and the it did run fine for about 2 weeks and then got as bad as before again.

Thanks for the advice lads, much appreciated.

snapper
29-09-02, 07:09 PM
what carb is it? standard or did you put a new one on and forget to get it tuned?

michaelbould
30-09-02, 09:43 AM
Its some kind of Weber (sp?) with manual choke. The previous owner had it fitted some im unaware whether it was tuned after it was fitted. I have had the car over a year and its been fine till now.

snapper
30-09-02, 01:14 PM
ah. i should think it's best to take it to a decent garage and get the carb looked at. if the jets are getting blocked, it might need a good overhaul too.

michaelbould
04-11-02, 03:05 PM
Just to let you know that the problem was the timing. It was 20 degrees out!

Cheers for all your help