PDA

View Full Version : Car pulling back when driving

ive_had_a_novadose
06-07-08, 12:38 PM
Just recently got my nova on the road its a 1.2 '92 carb MK2 and when im drivin and going up through the revs its kinda pulling back as if its starving or fuel im thinking its the fuel filter as it has not been serviced for years lol i changed spark plugs oil and air filter and put new oil in but didnt change fuel filter has anyone else had this problem??

Cheers, Jay

NovaLad
06-07-08, 12:39 PM
Mite be because it's well fast?

burgo
06-07-08, 12:50 PM
Mite be because it's well fast?how does that help at all??

id recommend checking your ignition timing

ive_had_a_novadose
06-07-08, 12:57 PM
I'm not 100% sure but i think ign timing is all ok as it idles fine and is fairly smooth untill this pulling back thing happens, my boss has just recently set up the mixture as it was running lean with about 0.5 CO emmisions so tweaked that to get up to about 2.0 CO now it runs alot better than it did apart from this little problem

burgo
06-07-08, 01:01 PM
when you say the timing is ok do you mean its lined up with the markings?? if so thats not ok. in my experience the 1.2 are much more lively advanced abit

ive_had_a_novadose
06-07-08, 01:04 PM
I will be checking the markings this afternoon but thanks for the tip i shall check the markings if they are bang on i'll try and advance it a tiny bit and take it for a drive trial and error with this option is it turning the dizzy towards you to advance it?

burgo
06-07-08, 01:07 PM
turning it back towards the bulkhead i think

ck
06-07-08, 03:38 PM
looking from passenge side at the dizzy you turn it clockwise to advance :D

jimbob-mcgrew
06-07-08, 04:10 PM
ive had that prob before, sounds like timing to me, is it only noticeable when driving.. or is it revving in general that it holds back and chugs a bit ? you got points on your dizzy or is it breakerless ?

ive_had_a_novadose
06-07-08, 09:59 PM
its fine when im at a steady rev but as soon as i want to get a move on it starts chugging and pulling back, and my dizzy is on points what did you do jimbob to cure it?

mikey14sr
07-07-08, 08:02 AM
its fine when im at a steady rev but as soon as i want to get a move on it starts chugging and pulling back, and my dizzy is on points what did you do jimbob to cure it?

Only the 1.0l had breaker points in the dizzy, all the rest of the engines were electronic, with only the advance system being mechanical.

mowgli
07-07-08, 08:19 AM
if it is the black delco dizzy, then the advance/retard mechanism can fail... simple test. .. pull vacuum hose off at the carb end & with the engine running simply suck it, if the engine note changes, then it is ok. if it stays the same, then the mechanism is tatered & you should buy a new one or get to the scrappy.