PDA

View Full Version : Car's written off, but...please read

big_steve_x
26-09-02, 06:31 PM
ok some nob head rear ended me on the way home from work.
the boot is all wavey inside, looks a bit written off to me annnyway, car has cost me ?4000 to get to how i want it, so what happens with my insurance, am i gonna get 4K or what?? i'm claimin whiplash already. oh and mainly.....most of the mods were declared, BUT some weren't like my seats. BUT does it matter??? since it weren't my fault! i'm only 3rd party F&T aswell!

any advice would be cool

thanks

steve!

djp_y2k
26-09-02, 06:45 PM
If you havnt declared all mods then ur insurance wouldnt pay out if they knew. Not sure how it works if it is someone elses fault though.

You will only get the amount the car is valued at. The insurance are bound to offer some crappy amount the first time, so refuse and tell them you want the amount its valued at.

Ben (lurk75)
26-09-02, 07:07 PM
sorry i missed you steve, i was chatting to my mechanic.

Get the seats out now and put your old ones back in. and try to remove as much of the undeclared mods as possible, this will help. and when they offer you for the car, lake sure you buy it back of them so you can keep your kit etc.

ade
26-09-02, 11:30 PM
Steve - did the insurance compant value the car with mods on it?

If not they will pay out the glass value based on the model and declared mods (I think) - an assessor will look at it.

When they write it off (usually do with novas - too old to fix cheaply) buy it off them.

Then take to a body shop and ask them how much it will cost to straighten chassis and fix damage. After that make sure yoiu dont accept 1st quote - make sure you tell them about work done (respray etc ) and if u can show them receoipts - only howeer if you have declared it!

Nova1.6
27-09-02, 02:41 PM
when i got shafted up the arse my an old lady my car got wrtien off, catogory D or summit, got a pay out of ?1000, refused first offer of ?700, sent them pictures showing it condition just b4 the hit and print out of Parkers price guide on the internet.
Ull get only what your car is worth, apart from the mods that u declaired.
Neil

Ben (lurk75)
27-09-02, 04:57 PM
Just thought of what a friend of mine did, when his car got written off they offered him ?500 (wich was a p*ss take) so he refused so they asked him to prove what the car was worth. So he phoned up the local free ads paper and gave about 6 fake adverts with a slightly increased price and gave all off our phone numbers and when people rang up we just said it was sold. he then bought the free ads paper cut out the relavent section and and sent it to the insurance and got ?1000 for it and bought the car back for ?118 :!:

Worth a try :wink:

Nova1.6
28-09-02, 09:31 AM
they charged me ?184 to keep the car, thats coz i got a higher offer first, spent the grand on mods! why not!

Ian
28-09-02, 02:53 PM
if you go through their insurance company, as their fault(you may have to as u only tpft) undeclared mods wont matter as their company wont know what it was worth. try finding the advert for that blue nova that bat built and was in revs wasnt owt special but was kitted 1.6 and leather trim, and b reg got something ridiculous like 4500 for it, start getting examples of of similarly valued cars

jatinder
29-09-02, 09:18 AM
Mines still not sorted i had this accident on may the 14th ages ago!!! they are offering me 1000 but im not accepting hopefully should get a couple of hundered more when it all goes through! screw them for all ur worth and keep trying if its not ur fault, ur in a better poistion to argue. just make sure u get all the undecleared mods off and find recipts for all work caryed out on ur car.

Nova1.6
29-09-02, 09:47 AM
i got rear ended on 6th july, got pay first out like 5 weeks later, then refused it, and got rest 3 weeks after that, im claiming for personal injury and loos of earnings and that, had doctor look at me lst week, and that was put through in july! they take piss when it comes to paying out!
Neil

big_steve_x
29-09-02, 11:23 AM
Ian....if ya wanna see the state of the car....its sat in BAT and will be there for a fair while, i think!!
i'll have a look round for a fair few ad's then see how much i can get

thanks for advice lads!

big_steve_x
01-10-02, 10:53 AM
ok then, i'm being seriosuly messed around here, an i need help, the engineers said, that they will only value the car, and not the bits that have been added to it, they want to give me 950 and then i can buy it back for 25, but th repairs are gonna cost me about ?1200, so what should i do, the engineer was a right to$$er saying i don't care about this that etc etc, all i care about is the market value etc etc. so what should i do?? i have to tell them by tommorrow what i'm going to do!.

steve!

the car is in mint condition etc put when i tell him this also, he says, well i've put down what i think it is etc etc. what a feckin wankeer! i'm seriously pissed off now!....is there any way i can get them to pay the repair costs (even though its more than the cars value) ???!?!?!?!?!?!!?

big_steve_x
01-10-02, 12:16 PM
and also this is the funny thing,
ME " i'm not accepting what you've valued it at, i want more"
Nob Head Engineer "well i can put the value up to ?2000 then"
ME "yeh that'll do fine"
Nob Head Engineer "but i'll have to put the slavage costs up to ?1100"
ME "What the hell do u mean"
Nob Head Engineer "thats the way it works"
ME "right then well ur no help"

hung up the call.

and also it was my solicitor that paid to have the car looked at, (they are gonna claim the cost back) but shouldn't it of been the other persons insurance who had to come out and look at it??

steve!

Nova1.6
01-10-02, 12:45 PM
u can claim for un-insured losses, thats what ive done, with missing work and that.
if u get, lets say, ?950 and it'll cost ?1200 to fix, then your uninsured losses are ?250, but you'll have to use that ?950 to fix it, i payed ?12 for legal fees up to ?12,000 fees in my insurance and it's not costing me a penny to claim for injury, well worth it and glad i took it out!
Ive just spent the ?1k i got on mods for my car, then only had to spend ?100 on getting car fixed!
Remember this rule.....
If there's blame theres a claim!
Neil

Phil_G
02-10-02, 12:50 AM
hi,

no that is actually a slogan off the telly m8.... not a rule :P

Phil