PDA

View Full Version : Bumper nightmare

gtachorley
04-07-08, 07:54 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to fit a Mk1 kit to my Mk2, got the front bumper on but its slightly to low and doesnt come far back enough so will cut the bumper supports that link to the carrier, chop 2 mill off and step them up slightly to rectify that.

Problem is rear bumper is a bitch :) seems to sit bit too low and cant work out how to fit the sides of the bumper to the body with out slide on brackets (suppose could make some and weld to the sides (mk1 style)?). Also is the rear tailgate on a mk1 diffrent as bumper seems to have big gap near numper plate.

HELP ME PLEASE ANYBODY
Rory
:thumb:

Any pics of the side brackets for a mk1 rear bumper appriciated, or the brackets dimensions so i can make one

Cheers in advance
:thumb:

mowgli
04-07-08, 09:18 PM
most of the mk1 rear arch brackets have rotted off, but a scrappy should have some

the hatches are the same

craig green
04-07-08, 11:23 PM
The side mounts on the rear have totally different holes in the rear arch/side of car. You'll need to drill your own. Maybe bond some MDF inside the bumper & self tap into it from behind the arch/through your new hole. (I've done it before & you couldn't tell)

As for the front, it sounds like you have a mk1 bumper on a mk2 carrier bar. They are different.

The gap at the rear is bigger on a mk1, looks like the panel fit is all to fook.

Nice move on going mk1 anyway. I salute you!

gtachorley
05-07-08, 09:23 PM
Yeah gonna have to either find a mk1 somewhere nearby to study the brackets or just bind some MDF to the bumper inside like you said, will swap carriers over and check what diffrence on the front