PDA

View Full Version : Rev counter clocks - repairing the PCB?

Dougie_SRi
04-07-08, 11:24 AM
I have six (six!) sets of rev counter clocks now, and none of them work.

This is mostly due to the corroded and mashed up part on the bottom of the printed circuit board, which they all seem to suffer from.

One set the rev counter doesn't work on (among other things).

One set the engine won't switch off with them fitted.

One set the battery light, fuel and temp gauges all no longer work.

One set just don't work.

One set from a GSi don't really fit, but the battery and oil gauges don't work anyway.

One set, the latest ones, make the fuel pump relay buzz like mad, and light up one half with the lights on, and another with them off.

Seriously annoyed now with buying set after set only to find an amusing new fault. Is it possible to repair the PCB or is there a GM part no for it?

Andy
04-07-08, 12:16 PM
Mine are the same the revs are fockd sometimes it will flicker

meritlover
04-07-08, 12:25 PM
sounds like you could make at least one good one out of your collection of failures. if the board has broken tracks then repairing them will certainly go some way to restoring at least some of the functionality.

have fun

Dod
04-07-08, 01:47 PM
As above, the fuel and temp guaegs are universal on these, couldnt you just swap them around and make maybe 2 or 3 sets?

Dougie_SRi
04-07-08, 02:19 PM
Yeah might have to see about that.

Any suggestions for how to repair the mangled tracks? Soldering melts the plastic!

Dod
04-07-08, 02:48 PM
They're copper lined yes?

Dougie_SRi
04-07-08, 03:09 PM
Yeah, thin copper strip, that gets mangled when the clocks are pushed into the dash.

mikey14sr
04-07-08, 03:18 PM
If you're really carefull with the soldering iron, you should be able to replace the broken sections with bits of basic speaker wire, just be sure to insulate any bare bit before putting them back in.

AlexW
04-07-08, 03:20 PM
If you ever feel like selling one or two pm me hehe

Will F
04-07-08, 04:00 PM
I have repaired many a sets... you carefully peel the copper from the plasctic... get some thin wire and solder the wire to either end of the track.

Job jobbed

Welsh Dan
04-07-08, 04:53 PM
I had problems with mine not letting the engine turn off - the bottom tracks were shorting. I separated them then put sellotape over the tracks lol.

Still working :).

Put something behind the tracks if possible when soldering.

Dougie_SRi
04-07-08, 04:54 PM
I'll have a look tonight, and try not to melt everything!

Do the little resistors ever fail?

craig green
04-07-08, 05:06 PM
Any suggestions for how to repair the mangled tracks? Soldering melts the plastic!

Rear window de-misting element repair paint/stuff.

mikey14sr
04-07-08, 05:56 PM
I'll have a look tonight, and try not to melt everything!

Do the little resistors ever fail?

I'm sure I've heard of the odd one failing, don't think it's a resistor though, isn't it a diode?

Mazz
05-07-08, 04:06 PM
We got a length of thin wire and very low wattage soldering iron and just by-passed the corroded piece - worked a treat..

Dougie_SRi
08-07-08, 10:20 AM
Managed to get one set to work but peeling off the copper track and soldering some thin wire from Maplin on, then covering it all with insulation tape. Looks a bit messy, but it can't be seen anyway. Just need to sort out another set now.