PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 / Mk1 Conversion

gtachorley
03-07-08, 08:11 PM
Hi all,

I have a Mk2 1990 Merit, wanted to fit a gte kit from a mk1 but keep my headlights, grill and wings, asked a mate he says yeah piece of p*ss, so I bought the kit. Turns out I am strugling :), front bumper wont go back far enough about 20mm to far forward and hangs low (thought about shortening the supports that bolt to the bumper metal and knocking em up a bit any advice?), and the rear bumper pops on to the bar off the mk2 no probs but seems too far back with massive gap near tailgate/numberplate area and cant figre out a way to attach the sides because of the Slide/Screw difference (do have a mk1 tailgate with the gte spolier needs fitting,so this might make a difference??)

Any one else tried similar and want to give me advice or any one with any ideas

All replies appreciated.

Rory
:thumb:

mowgli
03-07-08, 08:24 PM
this is always the problem with mk1/2 hybrids. the bumpers are different sizes & shapes.

a mk1 rear bumper will fit straight onto a mk2 back end as long as you use mk1 brackets. the rear end didn't change

it is easier to fit a mk2 front bumper to a mk1 than it is to fit a mk1 bumper to a mk2. the facelifted front end is slightly further back, thus the big gap.

mayhem
03-07-08, 09:12 PM
for fitting a mk1 front bumper you need the brackets, and the bumper metal. both side mounts are different to.

you'll keep a 'mailbox' under the grill, as a mk1 grill falls deeper into bumper