PDA

View Full Version : twin 40's&1600 gsi lump?

jim sri
25-09-02, 06:03 PM
i have a 1400sr&am intending to upgrade to 1600gsi lump, but due to the problems of ecu/differing fuel tank/fuel lines etc, im guna fit the gsi lump&box, but with twin 40's.
can any one tell me if there are any good guides about for this conversion?what is the specific manifold i would need?
and will i need any other bits before i start?
any help appreciated. :wink:

Aragorn
25-09-02, 06:23 PM
look in the articles section

the exact conversion is listed :)

mowgli
25-09-02, 08:26 PM
I fitted a full gte engine/ gbox into my mk1 1.2 A reg over a weekend on my own with the full injection system. there are only 5 wires that need modifying. I just used the wiring diagrams in the good old Haynes book.

The mounts and driveshafts are interchangeable.
Make sure the donor vehicle has the radiator and fuel tank.
use 8mm nylon fuel lines (available from truck spares people eg. partco)
The exhaust is your choice, but you will need to remove it to fit the right tank.

As far as my car was concerned, running the wire from the engine bay thru the interior and out of the hole where the fuel sender wire goes was a right pain and took longer than the rest of the job.

It really is not difficult. if your tank has a feed and return already fitted, you can get away with it just don't let your tank get below a quarter full or you could run your pump dry.

It is just a lot cheaper than twin 40's....

Cheers
Mowgli

Aragorn
25-09-02, 10:08 PM
um - the twin 40's conversion will provide more power unless im mistaken??

i would follow the guide in the aritcles section

wiring the entire ECU is a hassle more than anythin else - more things to go wrong

when u turn the key and it dont fire with carbs there are only a few things to check - fuel and spark

with the ECU it could be any number of sensors wires doohickies and wudjimyflips :)

go with the carbs

you wont regret it - u need the noise :)

Jim
30-09-02, 01:18 PM
I've done the exact swap that you're intending to do. The gsi lump already had the twin 40's on it, so the injection system was removed. We didn't have to change anything structural on the car, we simply took my engine out and put the 1.6 with twin 40's in. Bolted it all together, few minor tweaks with the throttle cable, but other than that it's been going well ever since. The swap was made earlier this year. It's well worth it :D

Jim

CP
30-09-02, 01:52 PM
Most important bit - remember the earth strap eh Jim? ha ha ha!

I think that if you could get the sensors and loom for a Gsi you might find that with some modding you could have a pretty fast car without the overall cost and hassle of 40's. Thing about the 40's is that if you get some off a 1.6 Vaux complete with manifold, linkage, pressure reg. and alternator mount for ?200 or so you are laffing but more often than not you end up having to buy quite a bit of new stuff which makes it more expensive.
When all said and done a bloke who used to come ragging out against me in a mint 1.6 GSi wasn't that far off the pace really with really only a filter and an exhaust.
To get the best out of your 1.6 you really need to get a big valve head conversion done. To compliment this I have wondered whether it would be possible to use a 2 litre or similar throttle body inplace of the 1.6 one? With a decent exhaust and a bit of flowing to the inlet manifold it could be pretty pokey. Novatech has/had one similar that was running a race ECU (MBE or DTA can't remember which) and is very powerful. I think that may have got a veccy TB on it?

Jim
30-09-02, 02:05 PM
yes, the earth strap is the vital piece when doing an engine swap, LOL. Many minutes were spent wondering why the car wouldn't start, LOL.

cornish
30-09-02, 05:31 PM
Hmm i remember that one from the Novatech rolling road day, 1.6i running approx 157bhp i think?

Novatech sell the adaptor plate for the a 2L throttle body to be fitted to the 1.6.

Someone on Mig said that a standard, good condition Nova GTE lump will produce 100bhp at the wheels with only a B+ head :roll:

Anonymous
01-10-02, 09:19 AM
That sounds about right, the head is very restricitive on the 1600 8v, althogu youd need a fitler and exhaust to make sue of the b+ head to that extent, might not quite touch 100bhp@wheels (125ish at fly) but would be close.

Personally id fit it on injection if you are doing many miles, the twin 40s really drink petrol, and will cost you decent money to get sorted with the right jets, the right chokes and rolling road setup, they are NOT a bolt on mod.

Chip

cornish
01-10-02, 07:41 PM
the twin 40s really drink petrol, and will cost you decent money to get sorted with the right jets, the right chokes and rolling road setup, they are NOT a bolt on mod.

Agreed, takes alot of time and effort :roll: