PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile advice needed

andy_017
01-07-08, 06:53 PM
just looking for any hints and tips people may have!

I'm going doing a 1/4 mile day at york with Lee H and Riggy hopefully and seen as ive never done one before just wondering whether anyone has any useful advice to give :thumb:

Mike
01-07-08, 06:54 PM
When the lights change, floor it. Simple :thumb:

Adam
01-07-08, 06:55 PM
If you want a poor time yeah/\ :p lol

Its all in the launch.
Need enough revs not to bog down, but not too much to get wheelspin.
Do some practice runs on the road

chimp007_uk
01-07-08, 06:56 PM
and enjoy it!!

Dont get dehydrated in the sun then brick it and nearly faint lol

You going to pod for retro show?

burgo
01-07-08, 06:56 PM
dont wait for the green light, floor it when you see the orange ;)

plus if you do practice on the road as adam says you will need higher revs on the strip as there is more grip

Mike
01-07-08, 06:57 PM
If you want a poor time yeah/\ :p lol

Fcuk all the timing gear etc i only go to relive my mispent yuf of the age old Traffic Light Grand Prix lol lol

Adam
01-07-08, 06:59 PM
dont wait for the green light, floor it when you see the orange ;)

That only matters for reaction time tho?

Could sit there, have a fag(Mike probably would), and then pull away when you feel the time is right
lol

chimp007_uk
Fcuk all the timing gear etc i only go to relive my mispent yuf of the age old Traffic Light Grand Prix lol lol

I think i was deprived as a 17year old lol

chimp007_uk
i like the whole reaction thrill

Mike
01-07-08, 07:01 PM
Could sit there, have a fag(Mike probably would), and then pull away when you feel the time is right
lol

lol id be laughting at the driver of the big block next to me waiting for his driveshaft to snap lol lol

burgo
01-07-08, 07:02 PM
yes i know that adam and i also know that apparently your just racing your personnel best....but we all know thats not the case so getting the jump on the other guy is always gonna help

Adam
01-07-08, 07:07 PM
This is also true

chimp007_uk
01-07-08, 07:09 PM
lol id be laughting at the driver of the big block next to me waiting for his driveshaft to snap lol lol

dont say that... I hope my GTE shafts dont snap due to LSD magic:wtf:

Dar
01-07-08, 07:09 PM
Make sure you do a nice big burnout before you mosey up to the lights. It's great fun :D

It will be worth keeping the revs up when waiting for the lights and then just try to pull away with as little wheel spin as pos and then floor it once you feel you have got traction. The rest is easy.

Mike
01-07-08, 07:16 PM
The rest is easy.

Unless your driving a 6 kazillion horse power Victor lol

Jack
01-07-08, 07:30 PM
...whilst he goes up and back five times before you even get to the finish line :p

andy_017
02-07-08, 08:12 AM
so the idea is to try and have as little wheelspin as possible and then just floor it when it feels like theres full traction :thumb:

cheers guys!

chimp007_uk
02-07-08, 08:17 AM
so the idea is to try and have as little wheelspin as possible and then just floor it when it feels like theres full traction :thumb:

cheers guys!

Thats the ticket!

Lee H
02-07-08, 09:29 AM

cheers guys!

Then if my car is anything to go by it will start spinning up again as soon as you floor it thinking you have traction.

Hardest thing for a beginner from what I have seen from people at York this year so far is staging for the lights. How hard can it be to get your car lined up!!

burgo
02-07-08, 09:57 AM
lol that always makes me laugh watching the spackers just pull and and not have a clue what to do. its not hard. you move forward until the two orange lights are on and stop, then wait for the go

Lee H
02-07-08, 10:50 AM
They just sit there then with the engine at about 5k rpm ready for take off and they don't realise they can't set off till they have staged properly.

Previous funny at York was guy had crossed over the staging line and had to reverse back to stage, then he forgot to take the car back out of reverse and launched backwards off the line.

burgo
02-07-08, 12:34 PM
They just sit there then with the engine at about 5k rpm ready for take off and they don't realise they can't set off till they have staged properly.

Previous funny at York was guy had crossed over the staging line and had to reverse back to stage, then he forgot to take the car back out of reverse and launched backwards off the line.if only there was a vid :cry:

dhdev (Oli)
02-07-08, 01:17 PM
Previous funny at York was guy had crossed over the staging line and had to reverse back to stage, then he forgot to take the car back out of reverse and launched backwards off the line.

I did the same at Trax 0-60 when i reversed back away from the line to do a burnout, you should've seen the crowd behind me scatter lol lol lol

p.s you can also 'deep stage' by getting both lights to illuminate, then going a touch further forward so that the first light goes off ;)