PDA

View Full Version : Reversible de-locking

Rich Dale
24-09-02, 09:58 PM
Hi lads.....a quick question for you.....where do you get those lock-blanking plates that I've seen on a few Vauxhall's in the past, like those on Mark Freeman's mk2 SR in the January 02 Total Vauxhall SR buying guide??

I want to de-lock my mk2 Cav but make it so it's reversible, mainly so I don't get locked out when I have the battery disconnected when wiring in stereo etc. I want to be able to put the lock back in at times when I've got the battery off so I can get in, so these are ideal.

Anyone know where from and how much? I recon they should be the same for both the Nova and the mk2 Cav as the locks look the identical size.

Cheers.

P.S. In the same edition of TV, look at Darren Cox's Cav SRi......see those front seats? Well....those are now in my Cav!
My car's not been in a mag, but at least my seats have lol :)

Ben (lurk75)
24-09-02, 11:58 PM
bugging me now as i cant remember were i seen em for sale, there like a silver disc yeah?

Your alarm should have a Valet mode so it wont lock the doors when the Battery is disconnected.

You could always just leave the window open enough to open it up if it does go wrong.

ade
25-09-02, 12:03 AM
if its any help m8 I bought 2 washers the same size as the nova lock holes (about 3 mm thick) and a flat headed bold about 10mm long.

Sinply ground the head off the bolt so it couldnt be undone from the outside slotted the bolt through a wasger on the outside, same on the inside, tightened it up with a nylon nut (stops it coming undone) on the inside and thats it.

Temp blacking plate.

When you wanna remove it - simply undo the nut and remove!

Or, seal with epoxy resin and fibreglass/fill over it ans deliock for good!

Dunno if it will work on a cav though

Ade

?Marty?
25-09-02, 02:42 AM
Smart Car sells them. Can't find a contact number though.

Just get in trough the boot.

Rich Dale
26-09-02, 02:01 AM
Cheers lads.

Lurk.....the problem is, I don't have a driveway so when I pop into the house or round the back to get something, I can't leave the car unlocked or with the window down, hence, I need to be able to replace at least one door lock when I'm working with the power off, so I can lock it!

ade......nice idea but did it look pretty?

marty...I've had Smart Car suggested to me before......I'll check it out, cheers. Oh....I can't get in through the boot btw, 'cos it's a saloon and MKII's don't have a folding rear seat! Would work on a MKIII.

Ben (lurk75)
26-09-02, 05:38 PM
geeesss where do you lie the bronx, i thought car crime down here was bad but that takes the pee.

lol i get what your saying though, shame about the seats, couldnt you fit some mk3 seats in :wink:

ade
27-09-02, 12:25 AM
lol m8 - its as pretty as you want it to be! Just take yer time grinding heads off to get a nice finish

Paint them before putting them on - blend in - just looks like 2 circles.

If its only temporary not a big prob - only cost about ?1.50 for both doors + ?4 for a can of spray paint!

lol

Ade
:D

Rich Dale
27-09-02, 12:41 AM
ade....lol......I knew "pretty" would make you laugh...lol
Worth a try for sure....I'll look into it.

I'll properly de-lock one door anyway...just leaving the temp blank on one.

Lurk.....not sure if it's poss as there's a lot of metal frame work behind the rear seat.....I wouldn't want to though....I love the original seat trim, and I'm keeping the whole car as original looking as pos.....it's a future classic now you know :)
Oh.....I don't lock the car if I'm literally popping for a tool and gone a short time.....but I do if I go to get some food or have a piss....it's not that bad round here! I made it sound like Liverpool or something didn't I lol ;)