PDA

View Full Version : 15's rubbing on the inside??

Andrew V
24-09-02, 09:21 PM
Hello problems with my 15's? They are rubbing on the shock and inside of the arch. It's not all the time and the only reason I noticed it was when I was checking out the inside of the arches. Does anyone know why this may be?

My thoughts are that it could be because I am still on std suspension :oops: it's changing in a few weeks though so don't be too harsh!

It may only be when I'm 5 up and going quickly round corners but I obviously don't want this to happen!

Any help appreciated
Andrew

ade
24-09-02, 10:23 PM
I reckon its prob yer et on the wheels thatsout (et45-49 is best on novas).

If its rubbing on the springs/shock, changing them to lower ones may not solve prob - especially if wheel is rubbing on the arch - it'll just mean that you cant have a back full of people.

I have 15's on my nova - lowered 60mm of sports shocks and springs and I can just manage 2 people in the back with no luggage! But then my et is slightly out (rubs inner arch on the outer edge occasionally)

What alloys you got fitted and whats their et?

If you have space on the outside between the arch lip and wheel wall, you could always fit spacers. If no space, grind lip away/roll it and then fit spacers.

Or change alloys...

What are yer fronts like - you get any buuffing on full lock?

Ade

Ben (lurk75)
24-09-02, 11:34 PM
How wide are they?

(et=offset) :wink:

Andrew V
25-09-02, 03:50 PM
sorry didn't include any of the relevant facts!!!

The wheels are compmotive mo's 6.5x15 et49 with 195/50/15 tyres. Surely they should not rub. I got them second hand is there any sort of washer/spacer that comes with them brand new (sorry first set of alloys)?

Breeny
25-09-02, 03:59 PM
wouldn't have expected them to rub... Will probably sort itself out when you get uprated springs and shocks. If it doesn't get some small spacers (most wheel places sell them)

Just as coincidence when i first bought my old car i was young and foolish, i put renault 5gtt alloys. (fuck knows what offset!) They rubbed on both inside and outside, my 17's rub less than they did :lol

Ben (lurk75)
25-09-02, 04:52 PM
when i had my compomotive mo's they were exactly the same size and i never had any rubbing (although i always run 45's) my car is lowered 35mm.

Aragorn
25-09-02, 06:32 PM
you;ll prolly find its the tires

ive got cheap kwik fit tyres on me 14" astra GTE alloys

the tires are 195/60/14 but they have a very bulgy profile and its actually the sidewall thats rubbing on my shocks and inner arch

they also dont appear to touch when empty but ive uve ever got out your car (fuel station) when its 4 or 5 up youll notice the rear wheels are cambered in quite a bit at the top

try some better tires if this is the case - falken fk451's are quite cheap have very narrow profiles and are very good for grip n shit

mowgli
25-09-02, 08:14 PM
How old is your car??????

if you are on std suspension, has it got anti roll bars fitted?? Base models never had them.

If your car has done a lot of miles, the rubber bushes will be knackered, and will allow a lot of sideways movement, especially with wide wheels. Springs & shock absorbers will not affect sideways movement very much.

This problem has cropped up before on the forum. Fitting either new OE bushes or polybushes will help a tired cars handling quite dramatically.

Keep the faith

Andrew V
25-09-02, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the help I never thought about the bushes. the cars a j reg but has done 93000 miles so they could be knackered. It's also a 1.0 so no anti roll bars. will the anti roll bars affect it?

Aragorn
25-09-02, 10:04 PM
heh funny

mine has also a J plate and has done 97k :)

getting new shocks and springs soon and im gonna replace all the bushes when i install them

i have now fitted front and rear anti roll bars to my current car (saloon btw) but would add that my old nova which was on 80k had a rear anti roll and also rubbed with these wheels and tyres so the anti roll aint really makin a difference

one question - where are the bushes on the rear suspension? bottom of the shocks?

you also didnt answer if u had a cheap brand of tires?

Andrew V
26-09-02, 04:48 PM
don't know anything about tyres but they are avon zv1's? also don't have a clue where the bush is anyone know?

Ben (lurk75)
26-09-02, 05:02 PM
they are good tyres and have the handy little lip to prevent kerbing.

ade
26-09-02, 11:59 PM
rear bushes are situated on the rear axle mounting arm where it pivots on the main chassis - not on the shocks.

Look under the car trowards front - cannae miss it

Dunno how u change it though!

Ade