PDA

View Full Version : bonnet air intake

James B
24-09-02, 06:14 PM
went to donny in the park at weekend, bought a Evo VI style bonnet vent and im gonna have a go at fitting it myself. went down a scrappy today and bought a bonnet to work on, does anyone have any tips to get the best seamless result? has anyone on here done this before? im thinking of pop riveting it into place initially and then using P40 to fill any large gaps from beneath, then P38 on the edges to smooth it down as much as possible. Is this right??

cheers in advance

James

ade
25-09-02, 12:10 AM
see if you can do a search on air vents - not donw one meself but recall peeps having probne with p40/38 cracking due to flex in bonet - especially when closing it. Think it was cool.marty that gave option of reinforcing bonnet.

You need to reinforce the area you are to attach it too & if you can avoid cutting thtough the reinforcing bits under the bonnet - if you have to you need to compensate for the bit missing.

rivits will work but you may need some kind of flexible filler material to blend it unless its reinforced.

I've seen some but I cant for the life of me think what it is...

Ade

?Marty?
25-09-02, 02:45 AM
Normally they cut the bonnet, but without cutting the supporting struts, and then fiberglass it from underneath and use filler on the outside bit. Use lots of fiberglass on top of the join underneath it though.

?Marty?
25-09-02, 02:53 AM
The bonnet should be cut all the way through though on the vent bits i.e. the bit's which you'll be able to see in through (don't like this, as it's easu to remove/cut the mesh and reach in to disconnect the alarm/battery, depending on where it's located.

With some vents, they have the actual vent with a lip/edge going all the way round it, that's lower than the vent. To fit those, you'd have to cut the bonnet through the strengthening underneath too and attach the vent from underneath (bonding the lip/edge to the underside of the bonnets top skin), skim it with filler from above and smooth it over. Then reinforce the join underneath with fiberglass and refit/weld on the bonnet support.

Vents crack either because of the flex in the bonnet (if it's not supported properly underneath) and the join is weak, or because of the heat coming from the engine, again, if the join is weak.