PDA

View Full Version : Ive got petrol in my diesel tank...

rdznova16v
29-06-08, 11:56 PM
Thought id treat my other half to the pictures tonight, So we go fll up my td nova then off we go. Thought the car was under power on the way up the motorway but kept going, 16 miles up the motorway and it starts missing and cuts out, im sitting there scratching my head wondering whats wrong and she asks it is a petrol aint it?? i say no deisel she says oops then you can guess what was said after.
so happens she decided to fill the thing with petrol:mad: so im not happy at the mo.. Does anyone know what kinda damage this would of done? not forgetting i drove it 16 miles.
thanks karl:cry:

NovaLad
29-06-08, 11:59 PM
F*ck Me!

Sux 2 b JoO

I would get rid of her if i was you lol.

You need 1 of these

http://www.compliancesigns.com/media/NH/NHB-2109_150.gif

burgo
30-06-08, 12:13 AM
i doubt it would have done any damage to the diesel beast, just damaged your pocket

rdznova16v
30-06-08, 12:16 AM
i doubt it would have done any damage to the diesel beast, just damaged your pocket so engine will be ok? a friend said a new pump and filter is this all?

JSeymour
30-06-08, 12:20 AM
ive done this before, just fill it up with deisel, itl run like poo and smoke a bit but itl be okay after the next tank.

hope you made her pay at the cinema lol

rdznova16v
30-06-08, 12:23 AM
ive done this before, just fill it up with deisel, itl run like poo and smoke a bit but itl be okay after the next tank.

hope you made her pay at the cinema lol
lol havent spoken to her since im in the spare room as well making her feel worse that should teach her

BIGS
30-06-08, 12:33 AM
lol havent spoken to her since im in the spare room as well making her feel worse that should teach her

thats the way, you wait your have breakfast in bed in the morning now lol

Dave.
30-06-08, 12:43 AM

haha + rep for that

Jack
30-06-08, 08:15 AM
How far did you go running on petrol, and what was the mix (i.e. how much derv was left in the tank and how much petrol did you put in?)

Petrol doesn't lubricate the engine like derv does, so it will have washed all the diesel out the engine/pump/filter and caused them to sieze up (modern diesel engines with common rail injection will be severely kyboshed by petrol though). I'm surprised it ran at all considering the lack of spark, so I guess there was still a fair amount of diesel in the tank before petrol was added.

Drain the tank, fill up with derv and try it. If it runs, happy days, let it run a while to get the derv back into the engine. If it doesn't run, then change the filter and pump and try again.

Its putting derv into a petrol tank thats the bad one lol

meritlover
30-06-08, 08:16 AM
be careful about running it with petrol in the fuel. it will detonate like hell and damage the pistons. also the diesel is used to lube the pump, petrol is a spirit and will wash any lube off, and may damage the seals. much safer to drain the tank. or run a dummy tank to the pump and test the engine with pure diesel before going any further.

generally, diesel in a petrol results in lots of smoke and stalling due to the face that a 40micron petrol filter becomes blocked with the more viscus diesel. however, petrol in a diesel can be very nasty if you are not careful.

rdznova16v
30-06-08, 08:29 AM
How far did you go running on petrol, and what was the mix (i.e. how much derv was left in the tank and how much petrol did you put in?)

Petrol doesn't lubricate the engine like derv does, so it will have washed all the diesel out the engine/pump/filter and caused them to sieze up (modern diesel engines with common rail injection will be severely kyboshed by petrol though). I'm surprised it ran at all considering the lack of spark, so I guess there was still a fair amount of diesel in the tank before petrol was added.

Drain the tank, fill up with derv and try it. If it runs, happy days, let it run a while to get the derv back into the engine. If it doesn't run, then change the filter and pump and try again.

Its putting derv into a petrol tank thats the bad one lol
it was on empty so it was all petrol, i run 16 miles on it

rdznova16v
30-06-08, 08:32 AM
no breakfast just silience still i think i like that more lol

Dod
30-06-08, 09:19 AM
Make syphon all the diesel out, old style by using the good old piece of rubber hose. She'll never complain about giving a BJ again!!

meritlover
30-06-08, 09:36 AM
Or..

make her give you a blow-job and she'll think twice about puting petrol in it the next time.

lol

rdznova16v
30-06-08, 01:26 PM
Well drained the tank filled the car with DEISEL and just give it a good run looks like every things ok fingers crossed:thumb:

ck
30-06-08, 01:26 PM
other way around jack, petrol in diesel is alot worse than diesel in a petrol car.. generaly if there is enough diesel in the tank b4 it got filled with petrol you can get away with it. its not a good thing at all puttin petrol in a diesel lol

like said try draining the tank and try with fresh diesel, might need a jump pack in hand as it might take a little while to get the diesel back through into the engine..

Dod
30-06-08, 01:28 PM
LOL, FAILED by litterally seconds!!

ck
30-06-08, 01:45 PM
lol yeah. good to hear its running tho :D

burgo
30-06-08, 01:46 PM
jack i think the 16 miles it did would have been on the fuel in the filter and pump

Jack
30-06-08, 02:02 PM
other way around jack, petrol in diesel is alot worse than diesel in a petrol car..
Depends what engine, I suppose in a Nova it would be better that way round. In a modern petrol engine, derv = epic fail. I know one chap who put half a tank of derv into his GT4, driving off the forecourt and half a mile down the road was enough to shag the catalytic converter and gunk up the injectors. Expense!

ck
30-06-08, 02:08 PM
yes i understand it will funk up the cat and could block the injectors/filter. but the other way around with petrol in a diesel it can be alot worse, if there is enough of a mix in the tank it can cause it to det very badly and mess it up big time.

down here at our local texaco my auntie filler her bmw e46 up to the brim from empty with diesel, unfortunaly petrol actualy came out of the diesel pump, oops. literaly blew the fukcer up properly lol. major internal damage.

Cormac
30-06-08, 02:45 PM
This happened to me a few weeks ago in my hdi xsara, put about 4 litres of petrol into a full tank of diesal.. she ran fine for 200miles then started feeling a little low on power, have put another tank threw her and she's still running short on power, feeling like the air flow metres away in her so ill have to get her on the computer and see what comes up!!

Jack
30-06-08, 02:55 PM
HDi is common rail isn't it? Hmm, broken lol

Cormac
30-06-08, 03:50 PM
Sure is mate, It didnt die which is good but the turbo doesnt seem to kick in now till 3K were hdi's dont normally have any turbo lag.. agggh