PDA

View Full Version : smoothing bumper advice

bola
29-06-08, 11:10 PM
will i be ok using a fibreglass filler paste to smooth out the lines in my standard mk2 rear bumper? Also how do i go about removing the towing eye cover hole? thanks

L14MNP
29-06-08, 11:43 PM
Plastic weld the tow eye hole IMO
Also try using plastic padding filler

Gordon Livsey
01-07-08, 09:48 PM
you will need to drill small holes along the bumper where you are filling, this will allow the filler to sink in to the bumper and give it better grip without falling out

lee-loon
06-07-08, 09:56 AM
filler wont fall out but will shrink,weld it up

simonr1
06-07-08, 11:54 AM
just make sure you key up the bits you are filling or it will all fall out!

DAN-F
06-07-08, 03:53 PM
if you cant plastic weld, key up the area your filling im guessing you mean the lines across the bumper, make sure youve roughed them up enough then use a skim of fibreglass filler (not resin) let it dry sand back smooth then a skim af bodyfiller make sure you give the fillers enough time between applications to dry properly to stop sinking, should get a good strong finish

mikey14sr
06-07-08, 04:11 PM
Dill 5mm holes in the groove every couple of cm's, make sure to push the fibreglass paste through them and spread it over behind, that'll secure the FG strongly, but you'll have to be carefull not to flex the bumper too much or it will still crack, but not as easily as it would just ladleing it on the top.