PDA

View Full Version : twin 40's on a gte

Aragorn
23-09-02, 10:43 PM
ok a friend of mine has a gte and is wanting to install twin 40's

he has asked me to see if i can find a guide or reasonably detailed instructions on what has to be done to the GTE to get it running on 40's

i understand the basics - rip out injection, fit fuel regulator, fit carbs

but im guessing there is more to it that that

spark timing etc is all controlled by the ecu so what do i do about that? etc

so anyone got a guide or can give me detailed instructions on this converions it would be appreciated

CP
24-09-02, 10:48 PM
Check out the guide section on here but in a nutshell:
Buy carbs plus inlet manifold, alternator bracket kit and special weber gaskets and nuts/washers to suit them.
Match up the ports to the head and the carbs using a small burr so air flow is smoothed. Drill and tap holes in manifold for heater supply and servo vacuum
Install carbs etc. Utilise std throttle cable to operate them - needs modding.
Ignition will be sorted by std dizzy cos it has mechanical advance and retard. Don't bother connecting the vacuum advance and retard as its not needed. Forget about the old ECU completely
Dont bother trying to connect up a choke system as its not needed either.
Cant remember all the jets sizes but a good starting point is 30mm (maybe 32mm) chokes/venturis and 120 main jets. The carbs are totally dismantleable and all the jets are marked with their sizes.
I went to a rolling road/weber dealer to get mine jetted to get best power. You will have problems getting thru the emission test at the MOT tho'.

Ben (lurk75)
24-09-02, 11:49 PM
tell your mate to wait until this grief with the Sadam Hussain is sorted, if we end up bombing the gulf it will be hard enough to afford the running of a normal car let alone one on twin 40's :o

rob.slader
25-09-02, 01:00 PM
I don't reckon the fuel consumption of the 40's is actually that bad. I used to get around 260 miles to a tank out of my 1400sr with the standard Pierburg carb fitted, now I've got twin Weber 40's fitted I'm getting 210-230 depending on how hard I drive, most of the miles are around town too. It really all depends on the individuals driving style and condition of the engine / set up of the carbs so I can't speak for everyone.

rob.slader
25-09-02, 01:06 PM
Another thing regarding the connection of the choke that CP metioned above, on my car I found it a real pain getting it starded from cold without the choke, so I decided to fit a choke cable kit, it starts a lot easier now. I was quite suprised as 99% of people say you don't need the choke on the 40's. Again it will always be different on each car.