PDA

View Full Version : Wide tracking Novas?

CP
28-06-08, 10:35 PM
Rather than hi jack Olly's build thread where this is being discussed I thought I'd post these general observations/questions in here. This isn't about any particular car just the general idea

I'm not at all sure about wide tracking Novas except to get substantially larger wheels under.

Reasons?
1. Increased drag?
2. Is there really enough power to justify it? Maybe for 250-300+hp cars??
3. Is the extra rubber put down over a wider track actually that much more effective or could better use be made of existing arragements?
4. Following on wouldn't lowering the centre of gravity be just as effective if not more so?
5. What are you doing to the cars directional stability when you widen the wheel base without lengthening it?
6. Wot no aero? Could more use be made of this to substantiallly increase grip in these small cars with very little weight at the back before going out wider?

Dan
28-06-08, 11:06 PM
All of the reasons above is why i am going to build mine :D its still a grey area but thinking outside of the box is definitely a decent challenge as you yourself knows with all of the fantastic fabrication developments that have appeared on your new creation.

There are some areas that will need to be thought through due to minor floors but i see no reason why the widened stance cant be productive when used in anger. As with anything setup is the key and imo that can only be done correctly to suit the person driving the car. Obviously if that person understands a small bit about what effect and counter effects are given when fiddling, then a general 'all round' package can be built quite easily. With fine fettling following on from testing getting the car to its optimum it wouldnt take that much.

I may be biased as i like to think outside the box anyway and as you and a few others know this route is right down my street when i get of my fat a**e and make a start. Personally i feel the devil is in the detail and with my stupidity/the help from you guys along the way i am confident (as with my other builds) this theory will work out and hopefully suprise a few along the way :thumb:

dhdev (Oli)
28-06-08, 11:32 PM
The increase in drag will be minimal from the extra arch width IMO, the widened track will certainly not hinder the handling in any way shape or form, I have the same amount of rubber on mine, just used at a greater distance from the centre of mass, therefore reducing the angle of roll.

The frontal area of a nova is AFAIK 1.72m^2 and the standard cd 0.38 that gives a multiplied together gives a drag factor of 0.6536. add an extra (0.050*0.3)=0.015m^2 for the two widened wings and it takes the drag factor to 0.6593. Hardly a huge price to pay ;)

dhdev (Oli)
28-06-08, 11:40 PM
Using Stuarts Top speed calculator for a 200bhp nova, with standard frontal area the top speed is 161.94mph, with widened front arches that decreases to 161.47mph lol

I reckon the wide track will add more than 0.5mph through the corners ;)

Mike
29-06-08, 11:42 AM
Oli, have you added the factor of wider wheels = further increased frontal area = increased drag?

On the flip side though, wider track, as you all know would increase a higher cornering speed, which is what your after on a track. Only side effect being you could potentially decrease your turn in capability?

dhdev (Oli)
29-06-08, 12:59 PM
I didn't add in wider wheels as I don't have wider wheels (obviously wider than standard, but I haven't gone wider since fitting the wide arches)

I think it would improve turn in, as the force to turn the car is coming from a greater lever distance, thus providing a greater moment. Although it will make the steering heavier, so a few sessions at the gym may be in order lol