PDA

View Full Version : Chargecooler v's intercooler

Mike
28-06-08, 08:23 PM
Performance* wise, which would potentially be better?

*Not performance as in bhp gain etc, performance as in product performance.

Stuart
28-06-08, 08:25 PM
Sig linky "should" have an intercooler vs CC document on there (intercooler design notes.doc)

CC's are more expensive due to more parts etc but I'd have one over an IC anyday for non heatsoak/pure controllability side of things

Martin
28-06-08, 08:26 PM
do bothliek Joff

Mike
28-06-08, 08:33 PM
do both like Joff

Im not rich like Joff lol

Mike
28-06-08, 08:35 PM
Stu, the way im looking at things is, the CC should be more efficient due to waters cooling properties as oppose to air.

On another note, CC would mean less boost piping equalling less pressure drop in the intake. Less piping means, more room in the bay aswell.

EDIT: So i take it the pump would simply wire into the ignition live then? Once ignition is on, so is the pump kinda thing.

Andy_L
28-06-08, 08:36 PM
Am I right in thinking a chargcooler would be more consistent?

Adam
28-06-08, 08:37 PM
Id just go with a cheap IC TBH.....
No messing with coolant pipes etc then.

I wouldn't worry about pressure drop.

Mike
28-06-08, 08:38 PM
The messing doesnt bother me TBH Ad, as id rather mess with water pipes as oppose to fannying around trying to fit boost piping into an already cramped bay. Would also mean i wouldnt have to chop up a GSi bumper or lower panel etc.

Andy_L
28-06-08, 08:39 PM
Plus if you go for an IC you can very very easily get a form of water spray mounted on the front of the IC if you wanted to

Stuart
28-06-08, 08:40 PM
ign live to pump, yeah... Also its wise to slip an extra fan on the CC rad to ensure you can keep it cool in traffic :D

Mike
28-06-08, 08:49 PM
Andy, i have looked into water spray if i go intercooler route. But with an intercooler it could mean chopping bumpers up, which i dont want to do, as id like to keep the original exterior look.

Stu, smart idea with regards to a fan, i really didnt think of that :D

I think ill plumb the exhaust side of things up first, then worry about where the AFM is going to sit (ideally would like it in its original place) BUT i would like to use a Bailey mirror imagine tank as the a charger cooler resovior, keep things nice and symettrical lol

Mike
28-06-08, 10:06 PM
Decision time :D

Looking in depth at both chargecoolers & Megasquirt. The plan is......

Funk the chargecooler, save money by going the norm, i.e Front Mount

Monies saved will put towards uber amounts of Megasquirt, complete with launch control, electronic boost control & nitrous oxide control. Once all thats paid for it'll be a nitrous oxide kit @ 50+ jets.

A long way off, but ill get there sometime next year..... uber small block qaurter mile action to boot :D

Jack
28-06-08, 10:56 PM
Boo, I would have said CC as well due to efficiency of both cooling and lag.