PDA

View Full Version : electric ee kinda question

jon_boy
23-09-02, 05:49 PM
on a mk2 dash apparently some people put a 3 amp diode behind the hazard lite switch. however went into an electrical stroe and asked for one and he said there were diff types. ne one know exaclty wot kinda diode i would want. cheers for any help, jon

Aragorn
23-09-02, 08:56 PM
not sure on the diode - i would have assumed the guy would be able to tell u what the most standard diode was and just buy that

but if the idea is to make the car more theif proof then while your there buy a few switches and a couple automotive relays and set up some kill switches across the starter motor solenoid and the coil so the car cant just be driven away even if they do get round your hazard fix (ie normal hotwiring)

make sure the relay for the starter solenoid is rated about 10A and make sure u connect it to the solenoid and not the motor itself :o

jon_boy
23-09-02, 11:02 PM
hhmm well thats all well over my head. wen i leave my car fovernite and its not on my drive i just take out a spark plug cos i got a tool kit in me boot. who'd ever think of looking at that. and who'd carry a spare! ha ha

brian
24-09-02, 06:42 PM
yer car can still be driven away on 3 clyinders Jon! if ya want to take out something take the coil lead. no spark to the dizzy when gone!! :wink:

ade
24-09-02, 10:16 PM
...or fit an immobaliser.

jon_boy
24-09-02, 11:00 PM
LOL, never knew that! i have got an immobiliser, but apparently sum arent wired in a way that would stop that hazard light trick. wierd eh. oh well. im just gonna live in the knowledge that in my bedroom is a large air rifle. my bedroom is just over my car which has a loud alarm...