PDA

View Full Version : Petrol tank help

doug_sri
27-06-08, 08:45 AM
I took the tank off my nova the other day. It appears to be a GTE one from what I have been told, there is no hole in the top of the tank where you would normally access the pump from the back seats. There is a return pipe at the back of the tank and the feed comes from the front of the tank where the fuel sender bolts on using 6 bolts and I run an external fuel pump.
It has a metal swirl pot inside.

I bought a new tank which arrived today....it has a metal swirl pot too but it requires an 6 bolt intank fuel pump mounted on the top. My nova doesnt have a hole under the rear seats as its originally a 1.4 SR.
To save any bother I have a few questions.....
Where can I get a suitable pump for this....cavalier ecotecs/redtops?
Also can I somehow remain running my external pump but use the intank pump setup like replace the internal pump with a bit of hose or will the external pump not be able to suck up the fuel?
Will the fuel gauge work the same if I use one from an internal pump off a cavalier or does it have to be off a nova?

Thanks in advance

Dod
27-06-08, 09:34 AM
No, you need either one pump or the other. If its a GTE Tank, then it'll not have an internal pump?

Any Cav/Astra Fuel Pump should be dead on.

doug_sri
27-06-08, 09:39 AM
No, you need either one pump or the other. If its a GTE Tank, then it'll not have an internal pump?

Any Cav/Astra Fuel Pump should be dead on.

Yeah my old tank was a GTE tank I think as I was running an external pump so looks like the new one is an SPI tank, just have to get myself a mpi pump then, bugger, spent ages making a decent bracket for my external pump as well as buying a new pump!

Dod
27-06-08, 09:42 AM
An Astra MPi Pump is a straight swap, sould only be cheap.

rodgers
27-06-08, 03:26 PM
you could also use a corsa sri internal pump ;)

Adam
27-06-08, 04:06 PM
Yes you can replace the spi pump with a piece of fuel hose, the external pump will then suck fuel through that.

Your still going need a intank pump housing though(to block the hole in the tank)