PDA

View Full Version : rear coilover fitting help!!

adam c
25-06-08, 10:51 PM
hi ive bought a set of gaz coilovers and the fronts fitted on fine but when i went to fit the rears they wouldnt fit!i have read about having to give the inner arch a bit of "hammer time" but the place that its catching on seems to be where the rear chassis legs are:confused: .anyone else had this problem?
anyone any ideas?
any help much appreciated:thumb:

mikey14sr
25-06-08, 10:54 PM
If you can't gain the space you need with a good bashing then it's time for the grinder and welder to come out really, Tried a bigger hammer?

adam c
25-06-08, 11:00 PM
yeah its like two seams that they catch on.i could grind them down but dont know if its structually safe to do so??

Rexy
25-06-08, 11:20 PM
either cut and box section it, Or get a bigger hammer and hit it :D

craig green
26-06-08, 09:32 AM
Big hammer & block of wood. Persuade it to fit....

Any pics?

Will F
26-06-08, 10:21 AM
I have just bought some for the rear and will make a judgement call as to whether I turret the rear or not...

Was hoping a good bashing would suffice! :)

Does it differ with different makes or not?

peester
26-06-08, 10:27 AM
:( bashful answers..

is it not the case that you can buy a weld-in solution now, taking u to re-turretting??
bet you it takes longer to bash it into fitting, than cutting and welding a purposeful section in..

chimp007_uk
26-06-08, 11:04 AM
rally designs sell turrets :)

But thats alot of work to get to fit and level

peester
26-06-08, 11:06 AM
..it deffo stays 'fit and level' with a hammer?? lol

chimp007_uk
26-06-08, 11:07 AM
lol

garyc
26-06-08, 12:40 PM
probablt depends if you have 1.9 or 2.1 size shocks. 1.9's arent too bad and just need a bit of hammering.

adam c
26-06-08, 06:04 PM
well today i was determined to make them fit!gave it a couple of whacks with the hammer today and they fit and dont rub one bit when the wheels are on the floor:D (its fairly close but they dont rub!).im going to order a pair of turrets from rallydesign i think anyway.also going to reinforce the rear shock mount aswell.

Will F
27-06-08, 09:02 AM
well today i was determined to make them fit!gave it a couple of whacks with the hammer today and they fit and dont rub one bit when the wheels are on the floor:D (its fairly close but they dont rub!).im going to order a pair of turrets from rallydesign i think anyway.also going to reinforce the rear shock mount aswell.

If the rear is totally stripped there is less of a requirement tbh... but all good if you have teh resources.

adam c
27-06-08, 05:59 PM
If the rear is totally stripped there is less of a requirement tbh... but all good if you have teh resources.
no the rear isnt stripped out(yet;) )but i hardly ever have a car full in anyway i just thought i had best reinforce them:confused:

MARTIN KELSON
27-06-08, 07:06 PM
My GAZ rear coilovers fitted stright on with not 'tapping' with a hammer.

Adam
27-06-08, 07:15 PM
As usual, nova chassis tolerances come to light,Lol.

adam c
27-06-08, 07:25 PM
As usual, nova chassis tolerances come to light,Lol.
lol typical nova build quality!ive been out in it tonight for some "spirited" driving and im really chuffed with them:D the build quality is spot on and i would highly recommend a set to anyone(especially with the offer on that has been set up!)

hc coupe
30-06-08, 10:10 PM

Ok so to carry on but change the scenario :D

I have a coupe so theres a bit of a "boot hanging over situation".The car will be stripped but it will be seeing the track (hopefully).

So is this going to need work Oor should i go down another route with it all.