PDA

View Full Version : changing slam panels

DEE'S NOVA
22-09-02, 07:18 PM
right going to geta another slam panel for th g/f nova and i was wondering where abouts you cut the old one and the donner one is there a certain bit to cut?

kevw
22-09-02, 11:55 PM
Best thing to do is wait til u have the new one, then you'll see where to cut.
You dont actually cut the old one off, you drill out where its spot welded to the other panels and prise it off...

DEE'S NOVA
23-09-02, 12:01 PM
i may need to know as i might be cutting a good one out od another nova to put into mines.that is if you can use a second hand one or do u need to buy these?

ade
23-09-02, 01:25 PM
if youre gonna drill the 2nd hand one from the donner car (and I have never doen this so its prop total pants) but if you did and you have holes in it, rather than spot weld it cant you use very large pot rivets instead (if you aint got access to welding gear)?

Dunno if this is mot friendly mind - prob not but would save a sh1te load of time!

I think the panels spot welded onto the engine bay sides in 4 or 6 places and on that thin centre beam that runs up in front of the radiator (dividing the car front in half) - thats about it. Dont even know if classed as a "structural part" - eg part of the crumple zone - isnt it just an area wher the bonnet clips onto and the lights "live"

:?:

Nowt like being technical!

Ade

snapper
23-09-02, 01:39 PM
it can't be part of the mot, mine's had rust holes in it for a couple of years now and the mot folk haven't said anything about it. i think as long as the lights have somewhere to sit, and at the right height, it'll be ok.