PDA

View Full Version : Car Jack and Axle Stands

Andy_L
24-06-08, 01:04 PM
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66742/Automotive/Jacks-Stands/2-Tonne-Combi-Kit?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-JACKS-_-66742

I'm slightly wary about buying something that seems to good to be true as this seems very cheap :confused:

thedjse
24-06-08, 01:06 PM
Thats is a good deal but dont be warry this have flown down in price Halfrauds do a good set for £50 so its bound to be cheaper in other places lol

hc coupe
24-06-08, 01:10 PM
Just do it right and spend a little more !!!

Lets face it, you will not really need to update it ever and it's going to be holding up your "pride and joy" so don't buy tat.........

IMO

Tom

craig green
24-06-08, 01:24 PM
That will be fine for home/hobby mechanics.

The difference between that & something more substantial will be the saddle of the jack, that one is rather small for jacking up engine & gearbox combo's and the axle stands could be a bit beefier.

Like I say, ideal for hobby mechanicing. If you use the jack regularly I'd say those types usually last a few years before the seals weep fluid.

AlexW
24-06-08, 01:27 PM
Like I say, ideal for hobby mechanicing. If you use the jack regularly I'd say those types usually last a few years before the seals weep fluid.

brought my jack from argos for £20 as a quick thing and its already started to lose its power after 4months

craig green
24-06-08, 01:27 PM
brought my jack from argos for £20 as a quick thing and its already started to lose its power after 4months

Take it back.... (receipt in hand)

Jcb
24-06-08, 01:28 PM
Or rust, as it's only steel construction. Depends where it's stored i guess.

Dod
24-06-08, 01:47 PM
I have a 4 ton Trolly Jack I paid €140 for 8 years ago. It lives outside in the rain and has been battered everywhere. I had to refill it once and its as good as the day I bought it. Well worth the money imo.

As for the Jack/Axle stand Combo, you can get them cheaper than that in Halfords.

Pistol Pete
24-06-08, 01:47 PM
i have a jack like the one in that link, never had any troubles with it. if your just using it for light occasional use, buy it!

Stuart
24-06-08, 02:10 PM
My old man got me a jack very similar to that linked for about £20 nearly 10 years ago... Its only just started to wither under heavy cars (still lifts the VX fine but its sadle is too high now)

Aslong as its atleast a 2ton rating it will be fine for hobby work :)
I've jsut purchased a £70 ally 2UStonne rated jack with an extra low saddle from costco. Now thats an awesome buy imho. full 500mm lift in 5 full pumps + letting it down is a lovely gentle affair

Rexy
24-06-08, 02:23 PM
i stole mine from college, Its a weber jack also known as BIG jack and has lasted me 4 years upto now. It has done everything from engine conversions to lifting me up wooo.

I hate those little ****ty jacks, i'd personally spend £70 on one of them stu's just bought as they are awesome. Thats my next purchase as our cars seem to be going lower and lower lol so Big jack struggles to get his Mighty head under the sills

craig green
24-06-08, 04:26 PM
LOL. Mine was liberated from a mate who 'borrowed' it from an employer he left....

Andy_L
24-06-08, 04:29 PM
i stole mine from college, Its a weber jack also known as BIG jack and has lasted me 4 years upto now. It has done everything from engine conversions to lifting me up wooo.

I hate those little ****ty jacks, i'd personally spend £70 on one of them stu's just bought as they are awesome. Thats my next purchase as our cars seem to be going lower and lower lol so Big jack struggles to get his Mighty head under the sills

Would like to buy a more expensive one but money needs to be spent on more important things.

Will be getting one of these I expect then I can sit on my **** and continue getting the underseal off