PDA

View Full Version : Cav GSi 4x4

Jcb
23-06-08, 11:17 PM
Are the 4x4 Cavs all powered by a LET? Also, what is the going rate for a reasonable condition GSi 2000?

Someone I know wants to buy my 1.2 SPi and put the engine from the Cav into the Nova. Not sure what to ask for the nova either? Bit of rust on front arches, but other than that its all clean!

liam944nova
23-06-08, 11:30 PM
[quote=Jcb]Are the 4x4 Cavs all powered by a LET? Also, what is the going rate for a reasonable condition GSi 2000?

no only turbo had let as standard and you could get gsi 4x4 with red top and you could also get an 8v 4x4 in standard trim

peester
24-06-08, 07:57 AM
just to add the 8v 4x4 will be giving less than 100 bhp at the wheels,
even the 16v 4x4 feels flat, prob generally giving a tad over 100 bhp at the wheels..

Only the turbo 4x4 is worth it for sure, over 150 bhp at the wheels there..

Jack
24-06-08, 07:59 AM
you could also get an 8v 4x4 in standard trim
Yikes, I hope thats not the 115bhp 8v. Once thats gone through the 4wd system, there'd barely be enough power to shift a Nova let alone a barge of a cav lol

For the Nova, if its in decent condition you could get anywhere between 2-700. Depends what the buyer is willing to pay really.

Philsutton
24-06-08, 08:39 AM
4x4 8v cav pmsl, what made them think that it was justified by putting 4x4 on it. Too much wheel spin? clearly.

Jcb
24-06-08, 11:09 AM
I hadn't driven it, but I was under the impression it was a LET? It's seriously fast. Not sure if it's tuned or not, but it runs off the speedo if it's given a nice straight piece of road. And the speedo ends at 140 right? I know you can't go exactly by this, but it must be some sort of indication.

As for wheel spin, maybe it's down to poor rubber, but it loves to leave thick black lines in the road.

meritlover
24-06-08, 11:13 AM
probably so low the neg camber results in only 20mm of the tyres actually touching the road.

Dod
24-06-08, 11:46 AM
probably so low the neg camber results in only 20mm of the tyres actually touching the road.

FACT!!

All turbo Cavs had 160mph Clocks unless they've had the Plant converted. They also have Dials in the centre console of the dash about the Ashtray, Leather Interior and a 4 spoke steering wheel and a 6 speed box. If it was a Tuirbo, you'd know.

Philsutton
24-06-08, 12:11 PM
As for wheel spin, maybe it's down to poor rubber, but it loves to leave thick black lines in the road.

LOL you can wheel spin one wheel on a 4x4 anyway as they never work. as Dod said if its proper LET then it will have 160mph clocks or its had one dropped in.

Jcb
24-06-08, 12:25 PM
Hmm, no this was definitely all 4 wheels. you couldn't see the bottom half of the car due to white smoke.

I don't think it's had a transplant but i couldn't say for sure as I wasn't driving and I don't know the background of it. But it's got 140 clocks so it was originally an XE then.

Prey
24-06-08, 12:33 PM
Hmm, no this was definitely all 4 wheels. you couldn't see the bottom half of the car due to white smoke.

I don't think it's had a transplant but i couldn't say for sure as I wasn't driving and I don't know the background of it. But it's got 140 clocks so it was originally an XE then.
If it was smoking the wheels that much the 4x4 probably isnt working.....

Yikes, I hope thats not the 115bhp 8v. Once thats gone through the 4wd system, there'd barely be enough power to shift a Nova let alone a barge of a cav lol

Ive had an 8v 4x4 and its not that bad surprisingly - imho its not worth it with the power there but its nice to get the cornering improvement - that cav had a lot of people try to follow it on the twisties. They did the two 8vs the earlier 130 engine and the later CATed 115 btw.

Dod
24-06-08, 12:52 PM
Ok, then it must have been a GSi 4x4. What year was the car?

Philsutton
24-06-08, 01:49 PM
Even if it was 4x4 then there is no way it smoked all 4 wheels, will be one of the front that it spin its face off.

meritlover
24-06-08, 01:52 PM
probably the clutch that was smoking

Dod
24-06-08, 01:52 PM
Well it would it it was tied to a wall. Then it'd break after 12 seconds.

Dod
24-06-08, 02:10 PM
Actually, I stand corrected on my last comment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Z4xQT_0u8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88FQDIQ9_cQ

Jcb
24-06-08, 03:32 PM
I garuntee you it was all four wheels. He started with the handbrake on to get the front spun up and then let it off and the rears came in too. It had to be all four because it was sliding like a snake up the road like it had no traction what so ever, or it was on ice...

Spudly
24-06-08, 03:34 PM
It wont have been all 4 wheels with the handbrake on it will definately be 2, anyone who handbrakes a vx 4x4 system knows bugger all about them, the tx box will have let go in seconds with wheelspin at the front and locked wheels at the rear so if it was a 4x4 it aint now! lol

Dod
24-06-08, 03:52 PM
I garuntee you it was all four wheels. He started with the handbrake on to get the front spun up and then let it off and the rears came in too. It had to be all four because it was sliding like a snake up the road like it had no traction what so ever, or it was on ice...

I'll bet you all my cars it wasnt.

What year was it?

Prey
24-06-08, 04:29 PM
Using the handbrake for anything other than parking on a viscous 4x4 system like that is only done by idiots or rich people - the 4x4 will be shafted.

In fact I would seriously doubt a 4x4 handbrake could hold the car if you booted it - they arent very good....

DAN-F
24-06-08, 05:41 PM

bye bye transfer box lol lol lol
prob snaking up the road on gearbox oil

Jcb
24-06-08, 05:58 PM
Not sure what year Dod. Can't think of the plate.

There were two driveshafts in the boot for spare because the ones in on the car were APPARENTLY something like the 3rd set in something silly like 6 months.

True enough all the inforation on the car it's self isn't great and I wouldn't trust the guy to boot. But i'm 99.9% sure i saw what i saw. Infact i'm 100, because thinking about it, there were two sets of tyre tracks per side left on the road. Like is said it was snaking and you could tell from the rubber left on the tarmac that all 4 tyres were burning.

I'm in no way saying I know even half as much about the mechanics of these Vauxhalls as you guys, but it happened. Maybe put it down to having no tred on the tyres prior to the burn. If that was the case, i'd hate to see them now...

DAN-F
24-06-08, 07:00 PM
would it spin up all four wheels on standard diffs n transfer box? even if it did have the power to do that
i know the cally turbo i drove recently certainly wouldnt and that was a quick car about 260 brake,

Dod
24-06-08, 07:08 PM
Think of it like this. Imagine any car spinning the wheels. There are 2pushing and 2 laying dead so the 2 dead ones are going to slow it from take off. Imagine all 4 going at the same time, theres nothing to make them not grip.

Even if it was 4x4 it wouldnt leave 4 thick tyre tracks for anymore than a foot a piece. I suspect he wigged the hand brake on again after the car got going and dragged the rear wheels and so left the balck marks on the road.

Jcb
24-06-08, 08:02 PM
Maybe so then, sounds plausable. That way perhaps it would still give plenty of smoke too.

JJL
24-06-08, 08:04 PM
Even if it was 4x4 it wouldnt leave 4 thick tyre tracks for anymore than a foot a piece.

Qrew's cally might do but thats a tiny bit more powerful :cool:

Dod
24-06-08, 08:06 PM
I still doubt it.

Philsutton
24-06-08, 08:14 PM
It wouldnt spin up all 4 wheels end of. For a start it has two open diffs fitted, and even if it was ice I would still doubt it spinning all 4 wheels.

Even if it was 4x4 it wouldnt leave 4 thick tyre tracks for anymore than a foot a piece. I suspect he wigged the hand brake on again after the car got going and dragged the rear wheels and so left the balck marks on the road.

LMFAO yep that sounds more like what he did, left the hand brake on an wheel span the **** out of it an broke the transfer box in the process.

JJL
24-06-08, 08:33 PM
it has two open diffs fitted

Good point Qrew's doesn't didn't think about that

Jack
24-06-08, 08:35 PM
I've had 4 wheel spin in the celica once, but that was on ice. Fun lol

Philsutton
24-06-08, 08:45 PM
Good point Qrew's doesn't didn't think about that

Dont care if he has or not, he isnt running a standard transfer box for a start I have no idea about what diffs he has.

Even if he puts all 700bhp to the back axle and spins YO it will 9/10 times spin one rear wheel on the standard set up.

Also Jack Celica's are proper 4x4 drive cars that why lol

shy witness
24-06-08, 11:32 PM
FACT!!

They also have Dials in the centre console of the dash about the Ashtray, Leather Interior and a 4 spoke steering .

they didnt have centre console dials..the calibra turbo did.

they alll didnt have leather................and they all didnt have the 4 spoke wheel....(alot have the airbag wheel.and i think theres actually another wheel aswell on somem of them)...:thumb:

"thats the trainspotting over for 1 night lol"

i'd agree with ya though.

i'd immagine hes spun the front wheels up ...n then trailed the handbrake........giving the 4 tyre marks lol.

super stuff

Dod
24-06-08, 11:40 PM
Well **** you Shy. LOL!!!

Actually, now that you mention it, I had a Turbo scrapper that had cloth interior in it.

Rexy
25-06-08, 12:23 AM
i can wheel spin on my bmx, Im soo kool. Wheel spinning FTL!

Dod
25-06-08, 09:39 AM
Rexy, dont lie. You cant spin the wheel on a BMX.

This guy can though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxJegxqzjq0

Who said taking Speed is bad?