PDA

View Full Version : Water cooled Turbo's

Mike
23-06-08, 08:10 PM
Confused to funk now. Changed from a T2 (oil cooled) to a T25. Appatently its a water cooled item. So, is it a case of simply T peicing a water hose, feed it to turbo, then return line it back into the OE cooling system?

Or do they have an oil feed aswell (lubrication purpose's)?

Offending charger:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/TWOC%20Rebuild/217.jpg

Knew i should have stuck to fecking carbs lol keep it simple!

nathan.
23-06-08, 08:13 PM
Should have both oil and water feed and returns.l

Anymore pics of the other side?

meritlover
23-06-08, 08:13 PM
yes, just make sure you get a flow through it wont be much use. usually it comes out the discharge of the pump to the return from the radiator

Mike
23-06-08, 08:21 PM
Also, whilst on the charger subject, both my T2 and this T25 have a little brass nipple/outlet fitted on the thrust housing, what is it/where does it go.

Adam
23-06-08, 08:28 PM
On the compressor housing?

Its the pressure line to the acuator for the wastegate.

Mike
23-06-08, 08:29 PM
Though so, but wasnt 100% sure.

The dude i bought the T25 from has removed the fcuking oil/water union fitting along with actuator pipe! B@stard.

craig green
24-06-08, 10:44 AM
Connecting the water jacket isnt entirely necessary, just leave it open...

meritlover
24-06-08, 10:46 AM
oh the compressor housing, when you said 'thrust housing' i thought you meaned CHRA but there are no brass nipples on there.

yes it's for the wastegate

the oil supply union is a funny thread, you can unscrew it and fit a banjo ,or you can fit the OE fitting and swage your own pipework

Mike
24-06-08, 05:21 PM
Connecting the water jacket isnt entirely necessary, just leave it open...

Super, i did think about this but assumed it could potentially cause me some issues further down the line (i.e traffics jams, pod traffic etc)

meritlover
24-06-08, 06:02 PM
you are correct, its mainly for engine shut offs when the oil isnt flowing and people cant be bothered letting the engine idle for a few mins to let the turbo cool before switching off.