PDA

View Full Version : Welding Stainless

Paul
23-06-08, 06:32 PM
Now, I understand I can MIG it, with the correct wire and gas. Is it better to TIG it, or can I still get a nice strong weld with my MIG welder.

I am considering doing my whole exhaust system in a 3" Stainless, probably 316.

Do NOT direct me to mig-welding.co.uk, not interested in that site I want to hear people's opinions who have done it, seen it done etc.

Thanks

Paul

PS: That is my question /\, not interested in paying someone to do it etc, if you dont know, then either read or ignore, no off topic discussion/smart **** comments, if you want to talk about any other welding stuff, start your own topic. :thumb:

Stuart
23-06-08, 06:36 PM
www.mig-welding.co.uk lol

and dont get mardy :p

Paul
23-06-08, 06:37 PM
sorry i do not see the funny side of that.

pul16v
23-06-08, 06:38 PM
fixed my bike exhaust the other week as the jointer under the engine was mild steel and had rusted away i welded in a piece of 316 tube

found it quite hard useing the weldin wire and them stupid bottles ya get from halfords just couldnt get the welder to do a nice weld at all tried mn settings and even noticed the motlen metal was droppin off the torch rather than melting to the exaust perhaps its was my settings or maybe the gas dont know but i wished id just tacked it with mild and got someone to weld it propey looks dog rough lol

phil

Mike
23-06-08, 06:41 PM
Paul, TiG it. MiG welds are not really adeqaute for stainless IMO. Espcially if its taking heat (exhaust, inlet etc)

Stainless TiG rods are readily avaliable from eBay etc, however TiG welding is nothing like MiG welding.

Philsutton
23-06-08, 06:41 PM
stainless welding = ghey

We mig'd my manifold up, you just need some stainless wire which isnt cheap TBH. Or you can TIG it up, depends who's doing it an what they are used to.

Also my welds have held up really well and havent cracked or anything, the welder was set to kill when doing it lol

Paul
23-06-08, 06:45 PM
I have never welded stainless, but used to my MIG welder. Never touched a TIG.

I could get it all TIG'd but I'd owe an equivalent job, probably 1-2days... for manifold and exahust system. So going by this, MIG welding stainless isnt the way forward?

Philsutton
23-06-08, 06:48 PM
Like said thats how we did mine, if you can mig weld mild then you can do stainless. Only reason is none of use a TIG, so just used what we were used to.

Mike
23-06-08, 06:56 PM
^ aye use what your used to. I can use a TiG, but ive not got that kinda money to buy one lol lol

Paul
23-06-08, 06:59 PM
so is welding stainless by MIG is just as good as welding it by TIG?

Is the TIG weld going to be stronger or not?

excuse my ignorance lol

Mike
23-06-08, 07:01 PM
TiG welds are a lot stronger in the grand comparison of welding strength. Can be a lot neater too.

Paul
23-06-08, 07:03 PM
Hmm im going to get some stianless wire and have a test, see if i can make the wled neat, if i can then I will try and snap the weld, if it meets that criteria then I'll mig it, if not then Ill get it tigged.

Mike
23-06-08, 07:06 PM
Its not so much "snapping" the weld, more cracking due to intense heat, if that makes sense :S

A TiG weld produces a flat, fish scale shape weld, where as a MiG (as you prolly know) produces beads of weld.

Paul
23-06-08, 07:10 PM
Hmm may be worth getting the manifold itself tigged and doing the actualy exhaust system myself then.

R1CH
23-06-08, 07:20 PM
With the correct Gas / Wire thers not gonna be any difference to welding mild steel.
My mate does all my welding, my manifold was Tig'd but my downpipe was Mig'd, that was just because i was impatiant and wanted it done asap !
I'd rather have things Tig'd to be honest, just because it looks a lot neater.

What manifold / downpipe you welding ? 200sx style ?

Paul
23-06-08, 07:22 PM
What manifold / downpipe you welding ? 200sx style ?

Yep, 200sx manifold Vaux head flange.

And also thinking of doing my exhaust system 3" stainless...

Paul

batesy
23-06-08, 07:56 PM
orite there sir, im an apprentice welder, personally i would tig that manifold as the intense heat from the manifold could cause your flange to drop off if you Mig it becasue the heat will cause it to crack around leg of the weld, well all depends on the set you use if use a good set up and not like co2 and halfords multi purpose wire, imho if i were if you know some one who can tig weld i would get them to do it works out better stronger and better looking mate.:thumb:

you have a p.m mate