PDA

View Full Version : 1st outing :D

boyle_46
21-06-08, 05:35 PM
Just took the nova out for the first time on my own , got such a adrenalin rush lol , bad corner at the top of my street and :eek: :eek: :eek: wasnt prepared for the amount of body roll lol scared the 5hit out of me . Thats me deffinitly in for the rolling road day now :D just need the CV joint fixed as is crackling away but was fun fun fun to say the least , how hard is the CV joint to repair ? thanks Nath .

Nobby
21-06-08, 05:49 PM
what nova you got matey?? a cv joint cant be fixed only replaced if its knocking etc, just unbolt ball joint and hub nut after removing the split pin and remove the circlip holding the cv join onto the shaft and then knock it off you need to give it a good whack though lol

boyle_46
21-06-08, 06:57 PM
its a 1.2 matey , its jus knocking sounds like grindin metal if you know what a mean :s its only when i turn a corner its ok if you turn gently but if i wip the wheel round it cruches . Nath

ade
21-06-08, 07:06 PM
cv jpoint is pretty straight fwd. get a proper boot though from Vaux not one of them universal ones.

I think Haynes has a full description. If its crunching make sure the linkage isnt damaged...

Adam
21-06-08, 07:14 PM
It will be the joint opposite to the way you turn.
I.e. turn left and it grinds, its the outer right joint

boyle_46
21-06-08, 07:25 PM
im not the most mechanical minded person in the world lol but say with the haynes manual and a good socket set and screwdrivers could this be done in a few hours ? also would anyone know what sort of money the CV joint would cost ? thanks Nath .

greg1.4
21-06-08, 08:01 PM
yes, can easily be done in a few hours.

we changed a cv joint in 7 minutes last weekend..

i sheared one at an autotest, and had to change it very quickly to get back out..

Adam
21-06-08, 08:06 PM
Trickiest bit is the bastid circlip

Dod
21-06-08, 09:18 PM
Just get a spare drive and bung it in instead mate, 20 minute job!!

Only you're so far over I'd offer to fit it for you.

Matt Pickering
21-06-08, 09:24 PM
Might be the bearing if it making a grinding noise when you turn, cv tend to make a clicking noise when they fail!!???

Matt..

FUSION X16XE
21-06-08, 11:13 PM
yes, can easily be done in a few hours.

we changed a cv joint in 7 minutes last weekend..

i sheared one at an autotest, and had to change it very quickly to get back out..

About 10 on saterday :thumb: easy job mate.

FUSION X16XE
21-06-08, 11:27 PM
Just took the nova out for the first time on my own , got such a adrenalin rush lol

its a 1.2 matey

lollol

Dod
22-06-08, 10:17 AM
I have to agree with the lad. When you spend so much time building a car, putting in the man hours, effort, researching and compairing it to everyone elses, may it be a 3 wheeled 50cc kart, you do get a great buzz.

Its like foreplay, its always building up to something brilliant!!! Just try not to cum while driving.

boyle_46
22-06-08, 01:31 PM
its only the passenger side that does it , crunches when you turn both ways , if the cars sat static and you turn the wheel opposite lock you will hear the click .

Dod
22-06-08, 03:48 PM
Ball Joint I'd say, especially when you hear a loud click.

Does it click constantly when the full lock is on and the car is driving?

Do you feel a knock when taking off in first gear?

boyle_46
22-06-08, 04:52 PM
Ball Joint I'd say, especially when you hear a loud click.

Does it click constantly when the full lock is on and the car is driving?

Do you feel a knock when taking off in first gear?

dod mate youve hit the nail on the head :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ball joint then , is it ok to drive with or am i likely to put my self in danger ? thanks Nath and also what sort of money would sort this problem out thanks again .

Dod
22-06-08, 04:57 PM
No, it takes a LOT of abuse before it'll fail. IIRC they're something stupidly cheap like £8 each and should take no more than 20 minutes to do.

boyle_46
22-06-08, 05:11 PM
so its ok to drive with ?

Dod
22-06-08, 05:23 PM
Ah yeah, no worries!!

Lee
22-06-08, 06:19 PM
Trickiest bit is the bastid circlip

lol, amen.

Make sure you take the whole shaft out to do the job. Dont try fart assing around with it while its still on the car. A swift tug on it should release it from the gearbox, just be ready to wedge a rag in the box straight away so you dont lose any oil. Jacking the car up nice and high on the side your working on should do the trick.