PDA

View Full Version : saloon suspension

Saloon_rich
21-06-08, 11:15 AM
just need a bit of advice really ...

after a decent set up for the loon. ideally want it sitting pretty low (going for a euro styley me thinks :roll: )

what components are you guys running with an xe?

what kind of adjustment do yu get on avo's?

many thanks.

:thumb:

Graeme
21-06-08, 12:52 PM
I had Avo's on my xe'd saloon and they would go low but I had trouble with the aluminium nuts that adjust the height becoming distorted on the tread thus rendering them not adjustable. I am about to replace them with either the bargain priced Gaz units on here or a set of fixed height Bilstein B9's

Jack
21-06-08, 05:41 PM
I run adjustable koni dampers with old pvd 40mm XE springs, it sits a bit lower at the front than the rear. I run big tyres though so thats about right for mine. You're aware suspension is exactly the same for a hatch and saloon? How about full coil overs?

Saloon_rich
25-06-08, 12:15 PM
yeah i knew there's no difference between the model range. i've heard the loon sits higher than a hatch or atleast appears so ... is this true?also, for full coil overs would you need to mod the rear arches to accept them?sorry about the lack of knowledge guysthanks in advance

Stanley
25-06-08, 12:19 PM
Saloon only 'looks' higher due to the round arches.

Coilovers sounds the best route to go IMO.

Saloon_rich
25-06-08, 12:31 PM
seen some fk one's fairly cheap, with uprated fron coils for the xe, just worried if they're cheap for a reason.
i.e - last about 10days :roll:

how much are the gaz ones mentioned on here? are they a special premium member deal or somethin?

Jack
25-06-08, 03:44 PM
Club members have the option of buying Gaz coilovers for a discounted price, yes.

Its possible to fit rear coilovers without modding the arches too much, but not advised. Ideally you should be strengthening the rear wheel arch (as by standard the arch doesn't carry the weight of the car, the spring cup does).

burgo
25-06-08, 03:47 PM
i remember someone once trying to tell me saloons had leaf springs at the back.....how i laughed in there face

im currently running a modified spax rsx kit and have managed to achieve about 120mm drop and still how suspension travel ;)

hc coupe
25-06-08, 03:53 PM
Right i have just sorted my self out woth a nice coupe.Im looking at a set of FK's but they are coilovers all round.Gaz seem to do a set with front coilovers but not rear.So if i didn't know how to mod the rear arches would this be a "blot on" job which would last with quite a bit of abuse or do you fork out,get it done right and be happy when doing a nice turn that your going to come out of it ??

Jack
25-06-08, 04:00 PM
Its possible to fit rear coilovers without modding the arches too much, but not advised. Ideally you should be strengthening the rear wheel arch (as by standard the arch doesn't carry the weight of the car, the spring cup does).

Saloon_rich
25-06-08, 05:09 PM
so in short ...

coilovers all round are best but require arch work

non-coilover rears are bolt on but don't go as low ...

:tard:

is it possible to carry out the arch work DIY stylee or is alot of fabricating involved?

thanks again guys

hc coupe
25-06-08, 05:59 PM
Ok.....Im not worried about how low it gets me . I really want something that is going to work best with a 2.0 when you give it "the beans" :D so to speak.

So would it be best to get the fronts but not the rears as coilovers as it would not make a whole amount of differance if the rears were not coilovers:wtf:

or

Get them all round as once the work has been done it will make a much better differance when the rears are coilovers as well as the front :) ???

If the coilovers all round is better , how much work/time would it need as i would have to pay someone to weld and plumb it all in (just a rought guide if you would know)

Thanks once again and sorry

burgo
25-06-08, 07:16 PM
imo id get a suspension kit which comprises of coilovers on the front but keeps the shock and spring seperate on the back. then send of your rear springs to get changed to the length you want

Graeme
25-06-08, 10:06 PM
I'm going with what Burgo said

hc coupe
26-06-08, 08:57 AM
And this set up would be alright for the odd track use ??

burgo
26-06-08, 12:42 PM
group A novas had seperate spring and shock on the back end so i would say so.

burgo
26-06-08, 12:45 PM
i beleave this thread highlights the problem with rear coil overs http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100439

hc coupe
26-06-08, 05:56 PM
Ok I will have a read through that.

Thanks alot by the way Burgo and RJ alright for your effot and time.Its a total mine field for me at the moment!!

Cheers

burgo
27-06-08, 01:17 AM
always glad to help a fellow nova owner