PDA

View Full Version : Couple of MOT Questions

thedjse
20-06-08, 09:59 AM
Hiya guys my little project is gonna go for mot soon i just need to know a few things before it goes:

1. I am after bucket seats and obviously harnesses (do these harnesses need to be in date to pass)?

2. I have a show cage will it pass mot with this and no rear seats?

3. Will it pass with clocks but no dashboard?

craig green
20-06-08, 10:02 AM
Harnesses need to be FIA approved or similar & I think the buckles need some form of approval.

A show cage & no seats might score you an advisory. My lack of seats did.

Likewise the dash might be an advisory aswell.

My advice is keep the std seatbelts in for the test. Advisory's dont matter.

thedjse
20-06-08, 10:08 AM
Good advice mate thanks

craig green
20-06-08, 10:11 AM
I can't guarantee I'm correct but I believe that will be the case.

Let us know how you get on. I had my test/fail 2 weeks ago & have since lost the motivation to continue.

Prey
20-06-08, 10:16 AM
Not sure of exact details on harnesses etc but with the dash and interior its basically if its considered to be safe ie I was told I couldnt test mine with no doorcards because the winder mechanism was exposed = dangerous.

thedjse
20-06-08, 10:16 AM
I can't guarantee I'm correct but I believe that will be the case.

Let us know how you get on. I had my test/fail 2 weeks ago & have since lost the motivation to continue.

Aww noway mate i love your nova what did it fail on?

Also will it pass with a false floor in?

craig green
20-06-08, 10:28 AM
False floor in boot? Should be OK. Dont put a spare wheel in it (for test).

Mine just failed on some minor bits (quite a few) but more worryingly the PAS not being connected & the track rods being welded, still not sure what to do. But I have sorted the PAs so its all functioning.

I just need to motivate myself to get it booked again & bribe the tester.....

thedjse
20-06-08, 10:40 AM
haha well good luck CG and thanks for the advice

Philsutton
20-06-08, 10:41 AM
Mine have never failed on being gypo cheap ebay harnesses and ive had a few mot's and it been through checks for tracks ect...

Lee
20-06-08, 10:44 AM
Mine have never failed on being gypo cheap ebay harnesses and ive had a few mot's and it been through checks for tracks ect...

Aye, the harnesses dont need to be FIA approved. They just need to appear safe to the tester. How stringent he will be on them depends on the tester himself.

Iain
20-06-08, 10:47 AM
Yep I can't see the buckets and harnesses needing to be FIA. Mine passed fine with non-FIA harnesses, just as long as they're mounted correctly I can't see it being a problem.

I know it's just one case, but mine passed without any interior including rear seats and doorcards with exposed mechanisms. As long as your fake cage is bolted down securely I can't see it being a problem either.

As for the dash, as long as you have all the switches to activate required lights and functionality (with telltales etc) and no sharp or dangerous bits then I wouldn't see a fail in that.

thedjse
20-06-08, 10:58 AM
Cheers guys tbh its just untill i can afford a dash really as im a bit skint at the moment lol

So if i tape some like padding over the sharp edges does that work haha :thumb:

Lee
20-06-08, 11:05 AM
Cheers guys tbh its just untill i can afford a dash really as im a bit skint at the moment lol

So if i tape some like padding over the sharp edges does that work haha :thumb:

Probably yes :) Mate of mine got an old Supra through the test when his front wings were so rotten, there were sharp edges sticking out like razor blades. He just taped up the arches with Gaffer Tape :wtf:

thedjse
20-06-08, 11:07 AM
haha arches are abit funked aswell but thinking about giving them a quick repair then sticking the arches on haha

Jack
20-06-08, 11:11 AM
Probably yes :) Mate of mine got an old Supra through the test when his front wings were so rotten, there were sharp edges sticking out like razor blades. He just taped up the arches with Gaffer Tape :wtf:
My old hatch had a gaping hole, er I mean "vent", in the door. 10 seconds with some duct tape and it was passable :D

thedjse
20-06-08, 11:13 AM
Oooooo i think i may get some duct tape this stuff is usefull haha its all just to get the MOT out of the way it all will be done just in time thats all

Jack
20-06-08, 11:25 AM
BTW, have a look here (http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_510.htm) for MOT guidelines on seatbelts.

Dod
20-06-08, 11:45 AM
My old hatch had a gaping hole, er I mean "vent", in the door. 10 seconds with some duct tape and it was passable :D

My Vauxhall Senator was this way for manys an MOT, hense why i own it now. Rotten to the windows but got a nice 24v Donor car for something. :D

L33 LEG
20-06-08, 02:51 PM
harnesses have to be fitted securely
you dont need rear seats
you dont need a dashboard

mikey14sr
20-06-08, 04:38 PM
If you don't have rear seats some testers insist that the bracketry for them should be removed, or that it should be boarded out so that they can't be re-fitted easily, my local testers do
Whats to stop you putting them back in in 5 minutes time?.

Harnesses must have some form of approval marking on them, most cheaper ones will have a BS (British Standards) tag, just like the ones that are supposed to be on the original belts.

loggyboy
20-06-08, 04:54 PM
Both my stripped XEs went thru with no rear seats and the mounts retained, without even an advisory.