PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions.

AlexW
19-06-08, 09:38 PM
1st snappy question, Is the 1.4 injection dizzy cap the same as the carb?

2. My new engine dosnt have the little black box thingy on the back of the block like how the engine i got the carb did. Can i just block off the pipe that goes from the carb to it?

Thanks in advance.

3.What is the best brake master cylinder and servo to fit to my nova for my 256mm ate cav brakes? I thought about a astra setup or a cav one.

4. Where can i get a good fuel filter for between the fuel pump and carb?

AlexW
20-06-08, 12:03 AM
I know its late but anyone know? :roll:

Mike
20-06-08, 09:41 AM
I take it you mean 1.4 SPi dizzy cap?

Dod
20-06-08, 09:49 AM
And the Black thing is a Breather? A few pics might help here mate.

What are the 2 Engines from?

AlexW
20-06-08, 10:23 AM
I take it you mean 1.4 SPi dizzy cap?

Yes sorry should have added it.

And the Black thing is a Breather? A few pics might help here mate.

What are the 2 Engines from?

I think its a breater, but i have been wrong before. I know on my old 1.2 had it, that was the same as the engine i removed the carb from.

They are both 1.4's but the one im using is a astra mk3 engine that had spi, the engine i removed bits from was a 1.4 sr nova that was being broken.

Dod
20-06-08, 10:26 AM
Ok, you want to fit the SPi engine to your car which is currently a Carb'd item?

Do you wanna make it a Carb or run it as an SPi?

AlexW
20-06-08, 10:34 AM
Ok, you want to fit the SPi engine to your car which is currently a Carb'd item?

Do you wanna make it a Carb or run it as an SPi?

The astra engine was a spi but ive decided on a carb as its easyer. Before you say anything i have all the parts.

Dod
20-06-08, 10:38 AM
Ok, cool.

Essentially you have an SR engine on an SPi system. Remove the SPi Carb and inlet and replace it with the Carb item, you'll need to change the cam Carrier as well of fit an aftermarket fuel pump.

Use everything else from the Carb'd engine and you're sorted.

AlexW
20-06-08, 10:42 AM
lol ive done/in the process of doing all that.

I was asking about the breater, as the carb has an outlet that goes to the breater if my engine had the box, where as my engine has a breather but its a straight pipe from the cam box to the block.

Dod
20-06-08, 10:47 AM
No, you dont need the Square thing, you can fit a breater filter to these but if you want to be 100% sure, fit the breather box as well.

AlexW
20-06-08, 10:49 AM
So if you read my 1st post ^^^^
I was wondering if i could get away with blocking up the pipe that attachs to the box from the carb.

Dod
20-06-08, 10:55 AM
Probably not as it'll build pressure and blow oil out everywhere. Try an oil breather filter. I remember doing this on the breather on my Nova a few years ago but cant remember which pipe it was. LOL

AlexW
20-06-08, 11:30 AM
That was a thought but i dont think i can get one with a small enough inlet collar. Im going to be having a breather from the cam cover as its from my spi, it used to be attched to the elbow so im going to stick a breather on there and with the pipe at the back of the carb it may be easyer for me to rob the old 1.2 engine of the breather box.

Dod
20-06-08, 11:40 AM
If in doubt, go with the origional engine set up. :thumb:

AlexW
20-06-08, 11:54 AM
If in doubt, go with the origional engine set up. :thumb:

Cant now. Dont have the loom or the ecu. Carb it is for me

Dod
20-06-08, 11:56 AM
Erm, with regards to the Breather that is. LOL

Mate, I think we both need to go back to sleep and wake up again!! lol

AlexW
20-06-08, 12:08 PM
**cough cough** I knew that :cool:

Dod
20-06-08, 12:13 PM
lol lol lol lol lol

mikey14sr
20-06-08, 05:39 PM
If the engine has a straight pipe from the crankcase to the cam box, it should have an outlet from the cam cover to the inlet, and the sepaerator will be built into the cam cover.

That's how the breather system is set up on an SRi (mpi), didn't think it was like that on spi?

AlexW
20-06-08, 06:26 PM
If the engine has a straight pipe from the crankcase to the cam box, it should have an outlet from the cam cover to the inlet, and the sepaerator will be built into the cam cover.

That's how the breather system is set up on an SRi (mpi), didn't think it was like that on spi?

That has just reminded me, i think the cam cover im using (the spi one) Has a inlet/outlet on top, which i think i could put the pipe from the carb on, even more so as im going to be putting a filter on the outlet on the cam cover.

AlexW
20-06-08, 10:27 PM
SO does anyone know if the spi dizzy cap is the same as carb?

Also does anyone recomend a fuel filter for between the fuel pump and carb? And know what diamater (spelling, its late) hose it is there?

AlexW
21-06-08, 10:46 PM
Couple of more questions added to 1st post.

Adam
22-06-08, 11:26 AM
1st snappy question, Is the 1.4 injection dizzy cap the same as the carb?

2. My new engine dosnt have the little black box thingy on the back of the block like how the engine i got the carb did. Can i just block off the pipe that goes from the carb to it?

Thanks in advance.

3.What is the best brake master cylinder and servo to fit to my nova for my 256mm ate cav brakes? I thought about a astra setup or a cav one.

4. Where can i get a good fuel filter for between the fuel pump and carb?
3-Normal nova setup is fine. But a 22mm MC from a old astra can be fitted if you can find one.

4-Motor factors/Halfords

And NO, the spi dizzy cap isn't the same as the carb one. I found this out when i fitted my brand new spi cap to my 1.4sr dizzy and had the engine firing on the upstroke etc lol
The lead positions are different

AlexW
22-06-08, 02:37 PM
3-Normal nova setup is fine. But a 22mm MC from a old astra can be fitted if you can find one.

4-Motor factors/Halfords

And NO, the spi dizzy cap isn't the same as the carb one. I found this out when i fitted my brand new spi cap to my 1.4sr dizzy and had the engine firing on the upstroke etc lol
The lead positions are different

lol just as well you said that then! would have been trying to fire it up with the spi one! i'll have to get from halfords now then.

As for the master cylinder, i thought a gsi/gte one would inprove the pedal over the standard nova item? And what astra would it be from a mk1?