PDA

View Full Version : engine debate PLEASE HELP!

mikeoxford
20-09-02, 12:20 AM
i have a 1.4 SR with weber 32/34 carb, ramair air filter, pipercross crankcase breather, mongoose s/s system front to back.

i was after a set of twin 40s and possibly at a cam if one came along at the right price, then i found this on another nova board 1.3SR ENGINE

1314cc
AST2 cam
Honed & rebored block
full dynamic engine balance
replaced piston / main bearings / big end bearings
ground crank
lightened flywheel
twin webber 40's
oil cooler
new starter motor / alternator

101bhp - at the fly wheel - taken before the AST2 cam was added (with
rolling road readouts to prove)

all for ?350

which is what i expected to pay for just a cam and carbs, or even just carbs.

SO do i work on the 1.4 or use the 1.3?? ive told gaz ill have it off him, even if only for the carbs, but do i use the lot???

i was told the best head for the 1.4 engine can be found from scrap yards, and was recommended to me by Bill Blydenstein. Its off an Astra mk3 1.4 8v multi-point fuel injected engine.

was gonna put this on my current engine with the carbs and new cam, or will i see similar power from the powerplant mentioned above and should i just do a straight swap?? (will it be a case of one in one out)??

Ben (lurk75)
20-09-02, 05:54 PM
i would get yours rebuilt as that engine dosent sound very powerful for the work done, as it says 101 BHP at the flywheel wich would be about 80BHP at the wheels, wich is what your 1400 should be running if not more due to your mods, plus i would imagine its had a hammering.
I can source you a 1300 SR engine with a Piper cam for ?150.

But stick with your original plans.

carltoncrazy
21-09-02, 02:52 PM
throw both enuinges away n get sumfing wiv 8 mor valves

Ben (lurk75)
22-09-02, 12:33 AM
no theres no need for that if he is willing to do the kind of engine work he wants to take on just be cautious and dont take it to far it becomes unreliable.

mikeoxford
24-09-02, 12:13 AM
basically it was doing 101 BHP BEFORE the cam

guess it depends what the cam has done to it wether i rebuild the 1400 or keep the 1.3

what do you reckon lads?